Quantum DLT 7000 Block Size and back/restore problems

Quantum DLT 7000 Block Size and back/restore problems

Post by news.grpvine1.tx.home.co » Wed, 12 Sep 2001 02:24:17

Hello. I am trying to get a Quantum dlt7000 drive working under my redhat
7.1 install. However, In order to get tar to backup the system, I have to
set block size and density to 0. If its not set to 0, then I get the
following error:

tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
usr/lib/edge/
usr/lib/edge/tmp/
usr/lib/edge/tmp/linux-cdrecord-1.8.tar
tar: /dev/st0: Wrote only 0 of 10240 bytes

Once, I set those options it backs up fine, but it changes the device status
to:

SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 3289136 bytes. Density code 0x69 (unknown to this mt).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
 BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

But when i try to read the device to get a tar listing I get:

tar: /dev/st0: Cannot read: Value too large for defined data type
tar: At beginning of tape, quitting now

So, I reset the blksize and density to 0 and try to read the tape and get:

tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
usr/lib/edge/lists/edge.err
usr/lib/edge/lists/edge.err.last
usr/lib/edge/lists/edge.summary
usr/lib/edge/database/

Anyone have and idea what i am doing wrong here ?!? Please help.

Quantum DLT 7000 Block Size and back/restore problems

Post by Chris Gambl » Wed, 12 Sep 2001 11:50:41

A little more info i found in log messages:

Sep 10 21:43:49 PROD1 kernel: st0: Block limits 50381 - 2238912 bytes.
Sep 10 21:44:25 PROD1 kernel: st0: Write not multiple of tape block size.

Again, any help is apprecaited

> Hello. I am trying to get a Quantum dlt7000 drive working under my redhat
> 7.1 install. However, In order to get tar to backup the system, I have to
> set block size and density to 0. If its not set to 0, then I get the
> following error:

> tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
> usr/lib/edge/
> usr/lib/edge/tmp/
> usr/lib/edge/tmp/linux-cdrecord-1.8.tar
> tar: /dev/st0: Wrote only 0 of 10240 bytes

> Once, I set those options it backs up fine, but it changes the device
status
> to:

> SCSI 2 tape drive:
> File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
> Tape block size 3289136 bytes. Density code 0x69 (unknown to this mt).
> Soft error count since last status=0
> General status bits on (41010000):
>  BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

> But when i try to read the device to get a tar listing I get:

> tar: /dev/st0: Cannot read: Value too large for defined data type
> tar: At beginning of tape, quitting now

> So, I reset the blksize and density to 0 and try to read the tape and get:

> tar: This does not look like a tar archive
> tar: Skipping to next header
> usr/lib/edge/lists/edge.err
> usr/lib/edge/lists/edge.err.last
> usr/lib/edge/lists/edge.summary
> usr/lib/edge/database/

> Anyone have and idea what i am doing wrong here ?!? Please help.

1. FS: External Quantum DLT 7000 Drive $2800

For Sale

Quantum DLT 7000 Tape Drive (external -  68pin SCSI)

New....box opened...but never used! All orignal material including registration!

Includes (1) DLT III Cleaning Tape and (5) DLT IV Tapes.

Asking $2800 obo (This includes FedEx COD delivery).

2. interesting socket questions - expert advice needed

3. FS: External Quantum DLT 7000 Drive $3000

4. HOWTO Dynamic SLIP server setup? HELP!

5. FS: External Quantum DLT 7000 Drive $3250

6. IDE for gcc/gpp

7. FS: External Quantum DLT 7000 Drive $2000 obo

8. Ksysguard . .

9. FS: External Quantum DLT 7000 Drive $2600

10. DLT 7205-311 (DLT 7000) settings

11. DLT 7000 performance problem under linux

12. DLT 8000/7000

13. Firmware DLT 7000