SUCCESS: Pentium 90MHz, Slackware

Post by Warwick Allis » Tue, 20 Sep 1994 13:48:07

I just finished installing Linux for my first time.

This is on a MB using the OPTI chipset with Write-Back caching enabled,
and a 90MHz Pentium.

NCR53c810 SCSI, Logitech MouseMan, 8M RAM (16M soon), #9 GXE Pro (only
using VGA16 at the moment).

The only problem I had was with the mouseman.  I needed:

Xconfig:
        mouseman "/dev/mouse"      # A symlink to /dev/ttyS0
          BaudRate 1200
          ChordMiddle

Note the **** ChordMiddle ****.  I have seen others post about having a
problem with a 3 button mouse.  Maybe this will help them.

Hint:  only install from floppies if you have no DOS - installing from a
        DOS partition is much easier... you can quickly scrub linux and
        start again if you make a mistake.

Hint:  use xev to see what events you mouse is generating.

(oh, and I'm still booting from floppy - no LILO yet)

--
Warwick
--

 /     * <-- Computer Science Department,  /      WIT SPACE TO LET
 \_.-._/     University of Queensland,    /

1. Need suggestions on running Linux and X on a 90Mhz Pentium

Howdy!

I'm in a market of buying a Pentium 90Mhz machine and Linux would be
my major application platform. I would have about $5000 to spend...
(Well, it's my boss's money... 8^)).

Below would be my proposed configuration:

Pentium 90Mhz CPU
256K cache
32M RAM
1G SCSI 2 HD
PCI SCSI controller
17" color monitor (1280x1024)
PCI Graphics
Double speed CD ROM drive

My questions would be:

1. What's the best graphics card so that I can run X-Windows (Xfree86?)
   under Linux? I know that Diamond's cards are fast, but they are buggy
   in running X in Linux.

2. What sort of SCSI 2 controller of supported by Linux? I suspect
   those made by Adaptec would be O.K.??? Same question for CD ROM.

3. What would be a reliable vendor? I'm thinking of DELL or Micron.

4. Which distribution of Linux should I get? I'm thinking of buying a
   CD ROM distribution... Downloading tonnes of FD is kind of time-wasting.

5. Is there any problems running Linux under a 90Mhz Pentium?

I would appreciate any opinions or suggestions.

Thanks.

2. LogWatch on RedHat 9 and mail relaying

3. Ethernet setup on Pentium 90MHz

4. Determining if thread sleep state is voluntary or not

5. Does Linux work on any 90MhZ Pentium?

6. Booting Solaris (x86) from an extended partition

7. Need suggestions of running Linux and X on 90Mhz Pentium

8. Netscape and acroread

9. Low BogoMips on Pentium 90MHz

10. 1.2.8 and Intel ZP triton 90mhz pentium

11. Micronics 90MHz PCI Pentium

12. Overclocking Pentium 90mhz to 100mhz - any flakiness ?

13. Pentium 90MHz?????