NFS Installation for Slackware

Post by tayl.. » Wed, 18 Jan 1995 03:37:32

I need to know the IP Adress of a site to install slackware from via NFS
                                -jt

1. NFS Installation of Slackware 2.1: Help Needed

(My problem is basically the same as a previous post by

ethernet card...so I am "quoting" his words for the most part.)

I attempted an NFS installation of Slackware 2.1 from a local campus machine.
I chose NFS Install in the setup program, entered the correct network
parameters at the prompts, and received the following output:

Configuring ethernet card...
Configuring your gateway...
Mounting NFS...
(a 2 minute wait)
mount clntudp_create : RPC : Port mapper failure - RPC : Timed out

I then receive a promt to try the installation again.  I have an
Cabletron E2100 ethernet card - the card is correctly identified
at boot time.

I have edited the /etc/hosts file on my root disk and added my
IP/FQHN as the localhost. I have also set up a /etc/networks file
on my root disk - but I am unsure if I am doing that correctly.
Next I run the portmap program before before running the
Slackware setup program.

Could someone tell me what (if anything) I need to do before
running the Slackware setup, or direct  me to documentation about
NFS installations?

(PS: My current settings for the card are 0x380, IRQ 5, memory at
0xd000 and Primary Media. I set these, by doing a
ramdisk ether=5,0x380,0xd000,0,eth0

at the boot: LILO prompt for the net book disk.)

Thanks.

Michael Hauben

Michael Hauben Columbia College'95 Editor of Amateur Computerist Newsletter

2. Newbie needs Linux Raid 1 help

3. NFS Installation of Slackware 2.1

4. Book for learning UNIX!!

5. NFS for slackware installations

6. Red Hat Installation

7. slackware & 3c503 nfs installation

8. Thin Linux

9. Slackware installation over NFS mount?

10. Slackware 3.0 NFS Installation over the Internet

11. Slackware NFS Installation???

12. Diskless workstation preform slackware installation on exported nfs directory.

13. Slackware installation from NFS server