Wanted Idiots guide or FAQ to networking 2/3 PC's using Linux.

Wanted Idiots guide or FAQ to networking 2/3 PC's using Linux.

Post by Manindar Uppal SH37 96 » Fri, 18 Nov 1994 04:00:07

        Have been scanning the list for ages and I am afraid
        I have to ask:

           I want to network 3 PC's using linux. One is a decent
           486 machine with CD-ROM, and the other two are pretty
           old XT machines ( not much hard disk and not much RAM ).
           I have networked them using Novell, but I want to switch
           it over to a Linux network. So my network cards and
           cable are already in place.

           Is there a FAQ on where to start ?

        TIA.

Post by Jay Schlies » Wed, 23 Nov 1994 05:45:03

:       Have been scanning the list for ages and I am afraid
:       I have to ask:

:          I want to network 3 PC's using linux. One is a decent
:          486 machine with CD-ROM, and the other two are pretty
:          old XT machines ( not much hard disk and not much RAM ).
:          I have networked them using Novell, but I want to switch
:          it over to a Linux network. So my network cards and
:          cable are already in place.

:          Is there a FAQ on where to start ?

:       TIA.
:

Network Administrators Guide, and the networking-HOWTO, both available on
sunsite.

 --Jay                     o
                         <#<         " Above all.... have fun."
 +*+ Credits: smartmail__>^>__by * Linux+Pine3.91+Smail+Term-2.2.2+PoP +*+

            -=[ telnet sos.sos.net 2023" login as "Jtalk" ]=-

1. need idiot's guide to networking with linux

Just got a second PC in the house and I am trying to get the net access
on the first box (cable modem) shared with the other PC.  Before the RTFM
flames start coming, I've looked around Google and linuxdoc.org for
idiot's guides about how to set this up but I can't understand any of it.
 I was even stumped by a NHF at linuxnewbie.org despite having used linux
for about 2 years.

My network hardware is definately fine because I've got the net sharing
working fine under windows.  The non-cable-connected PC runs only WinXP
and the cable-PC runs WinXP/RH7.2.

I need to set up 2 things, and I'm not sure which is easier.  Any help or
URL's to really really easy HOWTO's are appreciated.

1.  Need to set up general network comms between 2 PC's such as file
sharing, pinging each other etc etc.

2. Sharing cable modem on primary PC.

This is what my current ifcfg-eth1 looks like:

DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=no
TYPE=Ethernet
NETWORK=192.168.0.0
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
PEERDNS=no

Thanks in advance for any responses.

--
Cheers,
Glen

2. Request Comments on Legacy System compatibility

3. LINUX NEWBIE WANTS IDIOT-PROOF GUIDE TO INSTALLATION!

4. afpfs for NetBSD?

5. Wanted: Buyer's Guide for Linux PC

6. adjust prefetch in free_one_pgd()

7. wanted : idiots guide to striping

8. Want to change Adaptec to Mylex SCSI Controller without reloading OS

9. idiot's guide to unix/linux

10. compiling apache on linux & idiot's guide to proxy server?

11. idiot's guide to unix/linux

12. Sendmail: idiot's configuration guide needed

13. window-pc can't connect with linux-pc using mgetty