Only part of .au files play: recap needed

Only part of .au files play: recap needed

Post by Brad Maxwe » Fri, 08 Oct 1993 13:41:33

When I do this:

  cat file.au > /dev/audio

I only get the first few seconds of the file.  Can someone let
me know what was decided about this problem a few weeks ago?

Thanks,
Brad

1. "au-play" (plays *.au's thru speaker, no sound card needed)

I've uploaded "au-play.tar.z" to tsx-11.mit.edu where it should eventually
end up in the /pub/linux/ALPHA directory.

It plays Sun-style audio files ("*.au") through the internal speaker.
No sound-card is needed, and it won't use it even if you've got one.  <shrug>

One thing I forgot to mention in the README:

        YOU MAY HAVE TO CHANGE THE "DELAY" CONSTANT IN "au-play.c".

This code is *very* hardware-dependant, since it uses <gag> delay loops.
I have it set for my whimpy 386s/20, but it's easily changed.  Don't try to
optimize ("cc -O...") the compilation, since that would remove the delays.

Send a postcard, get one back! | Enposxtigu bildkarton kaj vi ricevos alion!
          RICK MILLER // 16203 WOODS // MUSKEGO, WIS. 53150 // USA

...and yes, the latest Linux Device List is *almost* ready to post.

--

2. Win95 Terminal session to Linux

3. Need recap of Soundblaster .au problems

4. USB-ZIP bootable USB-pen! Windows works - Linux dont :-(

5. How to play .au files (reliably)

6. Corrupted file on OSR5.0.2

7. Soundcard play *.au and *.wav files, but not from CD rom

8. DNS vs Hostname

9. any program that can play XXX.au files ?

10. How can i play .au files?

11. Help: Playing (large) .au file results in system crache

12. How to play .au files

13. Playing .au files