Netscape Stalls in Linux

Post by Abdul Nab » Sat, 25 May 2002 08:46:32

Hello all,

I am using Netscape 4.x and Red Hat Linux. Netscape tends to stall a lot
on me, and if I move the mouse it resumes. Basically, if I download a
larger file, for example, it will download for about 10 minutes and the
stall, it's as if the window freezes (the animated Netscape logo just
stops in it's tracks). If I move my mouse (don't have to leave the
current window) the download picks up immediately. After a few minutes
it stalls again. It's not just large file downloads, it will stall on
Web pages as well, but it's most annoying with file downloads. It is
impossible for me to download anything unattended because I have to site
here are move the mouse around. Has anybody run across this? I have
searched the groups and can't find any similar post. This has happened
with various versions of Netscape 4.x and various versions of RedHat
(5.x, 6.x, 7.x).

I know there are other ways to download files, but I expect Netscape to
work to a reasonable degree. I previously upgraded to NS6 to get away
from this problem, but it is such a resource pig that it's barely usable
on my SMP PPro system (absolutely ridicuous). I thought that perhaps
it's a GUI problem, but can't figure it out. I am using Lesstif.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Abdul

Netscape Stalls in Linux

Post by Chris Clos » Sat, 25 May 2002 09:18:44

Try using 'wget', it's a command line based file downloader.

Also, what sort of internet connection is your computer connected to?
Internal modem, external modem, ethernet?

> Hello all,

> I am using Netscape 4.x and Red Hat Linux. Netscape tends to stall a lot
> on me, and if I move the mouse it resumes. Basically, if I download a
> larger file, for example, it will download for about 10 minutes and the
> stall, it's as if the window freezes (the animated Netscape logo just
> stops in it's tracks). If I move my mouse (don't have to leave the
> current window) the download picks up immediately. After a few minutes
> it stalls again. It's not just large file downloads, it will stall on
> Web pages as well, but it's most annoying with file downloads. It is
> impossible for me to download anything unattended because I have to site
> here are move the mouse around. Has anybody run across this? I have
> searched the groups and can't find any similar post. This has happened
> with various versions of Netscape 4.x and various versions of RedHat
> (5.x, 6.x, 7.x).

> I know there are other ways to download files, but I expect Netscape to
> work to a reasonable degree. I previously upgraded to NS6 to get away
> from this problem, but it is such a resource pig that it's barely usable
> on my SMP PPro system (absolutely ridicuous). I thought that perhaps
> it's a GUI problem, but can't figure it out. I am using Lesstif.

> Thanks in advance.
> Regards,
> Abdul

Netscape Stalls in Linux

Post by Kevin Buh » Sat, 25 May 2002 13:47:09

>                                            Basically, if I download a
> larger file, for example, it will download for about 10 minutes and the
> stall, it's as if the window freezes (the animated Netscape logo just
> stops in it's tracks). If I move my mouse (don't have to leave the
> current window) the download picks up immediately. After a few minutes
> it stalls again.

This is a very unusual problem.

I would be curious if other programs lock up, too.  Can you try
running, say, "xclock -update 1" to see if the seconds hand stops when
the Netscape animation does?  If you leave it for several minutes,
does your system clock lose time?

It smells like some kind of interrupt (i.e., hardware) problem.
Something is getting gummed up so you stop receiving and processing
timer interrupts.  Then, the system grinds to a halt until some
external event (moving the mouse, tapping the shift key, whatever)
generates an interrupt and kick-starts things back to normal.

I understand that certain power-saving or other "green" BIOS features
can have an effect here.  You might want to make sure that those kinds
of settings are disabled.

What does the output of "cat /proc/interrupts" look like after your
machine's been up and running for a few minutes?  Do you still get
lockups if you pass the "noapic" parameter to the kernel?

Quote:>                              I previously upgraded to NS6 to get away
> from this problem, but it is such a resource pig that it's barely usable
> on my SMP PPro system (absolutely ridicuous).

It probably has more to do with memory than processor speed.  You may
find Mozilla a little less burdened with "extras" than NS6.  I run it
on a dual Celeron 450MHz with 512 megs, and I find its performance
quite acceptable.  It should run very comfortably in 128 megs, and I
don't think it would be abysmal in 64.  You can download Mozilla 1.0
Release Candidate 3 from "www.mozilla.org".

Alternatively, I understand that Opera and Konqueror are two
excellent, fast Linux browsers.

However, if my guess is right, changing browsers won't actually fix
your problem.

--

Netscape Stalls in Linux

Post by Abdul Nab » Sun, 26 May 2002 03:54:31

Thanks, yes I used that as an alternative and got my image yesterday. I just
want to get Netscape working so that I don't have to dig for the URI when I am
indirectly referred to a download though a JSP or script.

As for my connection it's a DSL line, no problems with my connection... it
seems strictly a software issue. I can't figure out if the Netscape process is
losing focus and it doesn't come back, which should affect other apps so I
don't think it is it, or if it's just Netscape hosing up... I'll probably have
to run a trace tool, or maybe at least run top to see if the app is doing
anything.

Thank you Chris.

> Try using 'wget', it's a command line based file downloader.

> Also, what sort of internet connection is your computer connected to?
> Internal modem, external modem, ethernet?

> > Hello all,

> > I am using Netscape 4.x and Red Hat Linux. Netscape tends to stall a lot
> > on me, and if I move the mouse it resumes. Basically, if I download a
> > larger file, for example, it will download for about 10 minutes and the
> > stall, it's as if the window freezes (the animated Netscape logo just
> > stops in it's tracks). If I move my mouse (don't have to leave the
> > current window) the download picks up immediately. After a few minutes
> > it stalls again. It's not just large file downloads, it will stall on
> > Web pages as well, but it's most annoying with file downloads. It is
> > impossible for me to download anything unattended because I have to site
> > here are move the mouse around. Has anybody run across this? I have
> > searched the groups and can't find any similar post. This has happened
> > with various versions of Netscape 4.x and various versions of RedHat
> > (5.x, 6.x, 7.x).

> > I know there are other ways to download files, but I expect Netscape to
> > work to a reasonable degree. I previously upgraded to NS6 to get away
> > from this problem, but it is such a resource pig that it's barely usable
> > on my SMP PPro system (absolutely ridicuous). I thought that perhaps
> > it's a GUI problem, but can't figure it out. I am using Lesstif.

> > Thanks in advance.
> > Regards,
> > Abdul

1. netscape-i686-pc-linux-gnu-installer.tar.gz for Netscape 6.1 ppc?

Netscape was inviting me to download
what they called
Netscape 6.1 English language, X11 Linux 2.2.18-4hpmac ppc.

What eventually came down the line was
netscape-i686-pc-linux-gnu-installer.tar.gz.

Which I stopped very quickly.

Any comments?

Heinz

2. change screen resolution?

3. List of plug-ins for linux/netscape please!

4. Weird stack problem

5. Netscape plug-ins under Linux

6. Warning: Sorceive: unexpected T_primitive 12

7. Netscape 3.0b6, Linux Plug-ins Where

8. Teardrop attack

9. linux ppp slow rh6.1 & netscape stall

10. In search of Solaris 2.5 Netscape Navigator 3.0 plug ins

11. Netscape plug-ins on AIX 4

12. plug-ins netscape

13. Netscape helpers and plug-ins, also java help