too many TCP sockets?

Post by Charles Hop » Sat, 19 Nov 1994 23:20:05

 am getting a kernel message often saying
kernel: oops, too many TCP sockets for netinfo.
Why am I getting this and how can I rectify it?
*  Charles Hoppe                   *  Northwestern University             *

1. UNIX domain sockets vs TCP sockets

Hello all,
 In R. Stevens's Unix Network Programming, second edition Vol. 1 he
states that "On Berkeley-derived implementations Unix domain sockets are
often twice as fast as a TCP socket". Now my question is has anybody
looked into whether this statement is true on non-Berkely
implementations, particularly Solaris?

  I did some testing on my own on Solaris 2.5 and was surprised to see
that unix domain sockets actually performed worse than TCP sockets (when
the client and server reside on the same box). For my test code I found
TCP sockets to be approximately 38% faster than unix domain sockets.

  Now if this conclusion is correct, why would that be the case?. And if
it's wrong, then has anybody studied this issue in some detail?.

Thanx
--
---------------------------
Wael R. Elwasif

2. How do I use second hard drive to run Linux?

3. socket error 98 on RedHat 7.0, server restart tcp socket.

4. Linux/DOS/SVR5.4 on the same system, SCSI and IDE controllers

5. idle tcp sockets and dead sockets

6. COSA serial board

7. TCP socket to UDP socket?

8. PDA using Linux?