Making a SLS 1.03 boot disk

Post by Devin W. De » Fri, 20 Aug 1993 12:34:31

I finally got SLS 1.03 to make a boot disk by doing the following:

1) Install the system.

2) reboot using the a1 disk as the boot disk, press the alt key when
LILO appears.  (Then boot by instructions to your system)

3) mount the a1 disk (i.e. mount /dev/fd0 /floppy)

4) copy the zImage from the a1 disk to a temporary directory
    (i.e. cp /floppy/zImage /tmp)

5) Now umount /dev/fd0

6) Now you need a freshly formatted diskette and do the following:

    dd if=/tmp/zImage of=/dev/fd0
    rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/hdb1

Hope this helps!

1. SLS 1.03 problem making usable boot disk...

Despite making a serious effort to RTFM and experiment quite a bit, I am
unable to make a bootable floppy for SLS 1.03...The floppy is made w/o
complaint at the end of the install, but when I attempt boot it, I get
messages something like:

uncompressing linux....
invalid compressed format...
-system halted

The SLS distribution came from tsx-11.mit.edu and was installed from c:\
install w/o complaint...The disk has 3 partitions:

/dev/hda1 100MB dos
/dev/hda2 ~200MB root
/dev/hda3 16MB swap

mke2fs and mkswap showed a few bad block/pages, but no complaints otherwise

I then ran doinstall /dev/hda2 and specified harddisk /dev/hda1 to install
from...At the end, when I insert the pre-formatted floppy, answered
questions about preset video, modem, mouse, etc...When I was done, neither
the new floppy nor the harddisk were bootable...The only thing I could boot
was the install boot diskette (a1.5)...

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated...E-mail replies
preferred...

Terrance M. Darcey, PhD

2. leafnode-1.4

3. SLS 1.03: Problems making boot disk

4. Any Linux Users Groups in Cape Town

5. Boot disks a1.3 and a1.5 missing in new SLS version 1.03

6. Uses for an XT ????

7. Unable to make Boot disk with SLS 1.03

8. Linux V.S. Windows NT V.S. Windows 95

9. Fail to boot SLS 1.03 (99pl12) installed on SCSI disk

10. Hmmm can anyone get SLS 1.03 to make boot disk?

11. SLS 1.03 a1.3 boot disk error

12. SLS 1.03 installs failing based on disk geometry

13. SLS 1.03, FDC TMC880 can't partition scsi disk