change dos partition size

Post by Peter J Dri » Thu, 08 Sep 1994 04:22:39

About a year ago I wanted to install linux for the first time.  I didn't
want to get rid of dos because linux was a new thing (for me).  Someone
suggested a utility which could change a dos partition size without losing
data.  I would like to use a program like this again if someone could
suggest one.  I know one exists (contrary to beliefs on IRC).  Could
someone please give me info.  If I must, I'll do it with norton-diskedit,
if given proper instructions.

Thanks,

Peter.

and do not have enormous ammounts of time to spend reading the 125
newsgroups I'd like to.  They use to average 100 messages a day.
125x100 = 12500 => too many

change dos partition size

Post by Paul Sidne » Fri, 09 Sep 1994 17:24:17

#define NEBIE
#define NO_LUCK_WITH_FAQS
#define BET_YOUVE_BEEN_ASKED_1000_TIMES

I have fips and will probably use it to gently allow my DOS partition
to wither away.

BUT

What I would really like to do is shrink my single linux partition non destructively and add some more partitions.

I only have three partitions at the moment, DOS, ext2fs for linux and swap.

I would like to add a 2nd bootable linux partition for when I*up and
maybe a common /home and /tmp partition between the two.

I don't believe that fips allows you to do something under DOS that can't be
done under linux (a bit of provocation should get me a response :-)

As an aside, I did have one early catastrophe where I recovered by re-installing
the base linux stuff, but into (what was) the swap partition and patching
up my main partion from there. I know enough to avoid having to do this again
but does anyone know how small a partition the base (slakware 2.0.0) installation will fit into ? I know 8M will work

Like I said, I'll feel better with a second bootable partition with more on it
than will fit on the boot floppies.

Go on, tell me I'm doing it all wrong...

---
Paul

Paul Sidnell                    | Phone: +44 272 228489 (direct)
Hewlett-Packard Laboratories,   |    or: +44 272 799910 x28489
Filton Road,                    | FAX:   +44 272 228003 | 228920

U.K                             |

change dos partition size

Post by Stormy Henders » Fri, 09 Sep 1994 05:44:45

   About a year ago I wanted to install linux for the first time.  I didn't
   want to get rid of dos because linux was a new thing (for me).  Someone
   suggested a utility which could change a dos partition size without losing
   data.  I would like to use a program like this again if someone could
   suggest one.  I know one exists (contrary to beliefs on IRC).  Could
   someone please give me info.  If I must, I'll do it with norton-diskedit,
   if given proper instructions.

It's called fips, and is on sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/system/Install/fips11.zip

Be happy...

- Stormy the happinator     "The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ
                             Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
  Reply to:                  Shall lure it back to cancel half a line,