su problems: libc or su?

Post by Byron Thomas Fab » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 14:06:09

>I know that people have been having problems with su. I got them myself
>(won't su) when I upgraded to libc.4.5.24. Is this a problem with su or libc?
>libc is the new addition to the system and I had no problems before, so I
>assume that this is wrong. As far as I can see, su is attempting to
>setgroups() but is denied. It shouldn't be, so the bug seems to be in libc:
>and so I'll stick with libc.4.5.19. If, however, this is known not to be the
>case, then I can upgrade to .4.5.24 and fix su myself.
>Anyone?
>___

>C++ consultant and emacs support. Mail me if you have any problems.

If your using alpha libc's, get libc 4.5.26.  It fixes the 'su' bug
that appeared somewhere in 4.24 or 4.25.

Byron
--
`Playing this disk at loud volume may permanently damage your speakers or
other sound components.'                                -LFO

1. su problem -- su: Unknown id: root

On a SS20 running Solaris 2.5 I am not able to su to root.
When I try it I get:

$ su -
su: Unknown id: root
$

I've checked everything I can think of but can not find the cause.
Does anyone have a fix for this?

Steve Haran

2. Ldap Server

3. su problem: su: cannot set groups: Operation not permitted

4. shutdown not giving "System is now halted" message

5. difference between su and su -

6. Red Hat 4.0 won't install!

7. su to a user then su to root in startup script

8. Timezone for europe?

9. differences between su root and su - root

10. su vs. su -

11. users have su priv's but su fails

12. su, su -, and umask 077

13. 'su ' vs. 'su -'