UMSDOS system freezing where it would mount /proc HELP!!

UMSDOS system freezing where it would mount /proc HELP!!

Post by Joe Rosenfe » Sat, 13 Aug 1994 05:06:34

Well, I used the setup program off the rootdisk and prepared the DOS
partition to receive Linux and all is well again.  It would up being
pretty simple, but I guess I really need to learn more about repairing
the umsdos system.

--

| Automation Librarian                 (216) 687-6881 [FAX]
| CSU Law Library              trans.csuohio.edu [ANON FTP]
| NeXTMail and MIME ok

UMSDOS system freezing where it would mount /proc HELP!!

Post by Gino D. Ranie » Sun, 14 Aug 1994 00:12:42

: What I want to know is if there is a way to recover from this, what can be
: done for the UMSDOS fs in general, and is there any way I can avoid having
: to go at it from scratch, ab initio, as they might say if they were latin,
: etc.  Should I just forget this umsdos stuff until it is recoverable (or I
: know how to recover from it }-))
: I would appreciate an email from anyone with constructive ideas asap.

1) I have found booting from your original boot/root disks then mounting
   the partition.. sounds like to me your /etc/fstab is spazzed.
   Recommendations for prevention are backing up your entire /etc area
   to disk (I have found in the instances that I have done the same
   thing all trace back to a faulty or miswritten file there.) then take
   from that disk if this occurs again.

2) The other thing it sounds like is that you either have a an old
   or buggy kernel. perhaps a clash with new patches and old drivers.
   The stablest kernel I have seen is 1.1.35, 1.1.44 is still too new.

3) Make a rootdisk to floppy (ref Linux Journal, #3 :'Disaster Recovery' 1994)

4) Minor but helpful precaution : alias rm 'rm -f' to your csh.login or
   profile.  This will prompt you with the 'Are you sure?' before deleting.
   Annoying, but better than spending an hour reinstalling.

                                                        StingrayE
                                                        ---====*>

'The opinions expressed here are solely my own, and are not meant to be
construed or interpeted as my employers or my University.'

UMSDOS system freezing where it would mount /proc HELP!!

Post by Joe Rosenfe » Sat, 13 Aug 1994 03:07:25

Ahhh, the tales of sorrow and woe!  Just before I was going to NFS mount
my computer to tar up the linux stuff I have on my c:\linux drive I
rebooted into DOS and logged onto my Network from my Elite notebook.  When
I rebooted Linux it hung right after noticing that /linux and /linux/etc
were present.  I tried everything I could do but could not get linux to
load.  I am using the UMSOS fs and the rescue diskette does NOT work on
it.  It will not finish loading.

What I want to know is if there is a way to recover from this, what can be
done for the UMSDOS fs in general, and is there any way I can avoid having
to go at it from scratch, ab initio, as they might say if they were latin,
etc.  Should I just forget this umsdos stuff until it is recoverable (or I
know how to recover from it }-))

I would appreciate an email from anyone with constructive ideas asap.
TIA,
Joe

--

| Automation Librarian                 (216) 687-6881 [FAX]
| CSU Law Library              trans.csuohio.edu [ANON FTP]
| NeXTMail and MIME ok

1. umsdos boot up, hang at mounting /proc ?

I am still having trouble installing linux 1.2.13 on
a ps/valuepoint 433dx. However I did it on a pentium.
The only difference betweent the two in the boot up
is that the ps/vp stop  at VFS: mounted root (umsdos system),
while the pentium continue on to mount /proc . What could
be wrong that the ps/vp won't mount /proc? The fstab
on the ps/vp is like
/dev/hda1        /        umsdos        defaults   1   1
none             /proc    proc          defaults   1   1

should there be some tabs or some other un-print characters?
I can see only spaces in the file.

thanks in advance

2. CONFIG options for 3c503 ethernet board?

3. UMSDOS freezes after mounting root.

4. Linux version of etherfind

5. can't read proc/PID/environ or other - top and vmstat freeze - soft reboot freeze

6. Os Level upgrade

7. Mounting umsdos from ext2 system ??

8. Problem about sending email with qmail

9. /proc/mounts or /proc/mtab

10. Mounting proc fs to /mnt/root/proc ?

11. Solved: mount -t proc none /proc says "only root" // pivot_root

12. ERROR: /proc file system not mounted in PPP

13. mounting proc system?