NTeX 1.2.1 in Slackware 2.1

Post by WANG CHARLT » Sun, 22 Jan 1995 04:51:56

I posted a question about NTeX 1.2.1 in Slackware 2.1 and I was wondering
if someone could tell me if this is a problem with the distribution or
with my understanding of TeX.

Anyway, when I try to use, say, Adobe Garamond Regular, I use the following in
my TeX source file:

        \font\myFont = pgdr at 12pt

        {\myFont This is a test.}

Now...I have named the the .afm file pgdr.afm, generated the raw TFM file and
called it pgdr.tfm and generated the VF file calling it pgdr.vf. I have added
an entry in the psfonts.map as:

        pgdr    AGaramond-Regular       < pgdr.pfb

When I compile my TeX source, I get a nice DVI file with no problems. When
I run dvips -o filename.ps filename.dvi everything seems to go okay, too.
I even see the <pgdr.pfb> show up (meaning the pfb file was included in
the output PS file). Now, when I use ghostview to look at this file, the
text appears very very ugly (you can tell if you use, say, 24pt instead).
Anyway, I recall that doing this shoud allow ghostview to render the font
at any resolution (zoomed etc.) but maybe my memory has failed me.

On the same note, (more specific to NTeX 1.2.1) when I add use Utopia and
Charter (two fonts that come with the distribution), I only get one font...
that's Utopia. No matter what name I use (I have enen tried substituting the
.pfb file of utopia with the .pfb of another font). Still, no go.

Can someone help me PLEASE?! I'm going to install NTeX 1.3 and hope that it
was just a crappy installation of NTeX 1.2.1 that was causing these problems.

Thanks,
Charlton
Copyright (C) TODAY by ME. Use of | - Good Pings Come in Small Packets.
this e-mail without my permission | - You would never get any free pizza if God
is STRICTLY prohibited.           |   owned Pizza Pizza (he always delivers).

1. NTeX in Slackware 2.1

I think this question has been posed before and I apologize if the answer is
obviously (or has been answered many times before). Anyway, I notice that
when I run the NTeX version of tex in Slackware 2.1 and add something like:

        \font\bodyFont = pplr0 at 10pt

(where pplr0 is Palatino-Roman) and later use the font, viewing the dvi file
with xdvi will yield the following error message:

        kpathsea: Running MakeTeXPK pplr0 300 300 1+0/300 localfont
        NTeX's MakeTeXPK
        Trying to create font pplr0 (300dpi) at 300dpi (1+0/300) as localfont
        Running mf...ERROR: MakeTeXPK failed on pplr0.300gf.
        kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
        xdvi: Can't find font pplr0; using cmr10 instead at 300 dpi.

The missfont.log contains:

        MakeTeXPK pplr0 300 300 1+0/300 localfont

All the directories that required world-read-write permissions have them. I
think my psfonts.map is setup correctly and I'm using mode ljfour in my
config.ps file. Funny thing is, this happens with ALL the fonts except for
the cm family. Anyway, if anyone could answer this for me or point me in the
right direction, I would appreciate it very much.

        Thanks,
        Charlton

Copyright (C) TODAY by ME. Use of | - Good Pings Come in Small Packets.
this e-mail without my permission | - You would never get any free pizza if God
is STRICTLY prohibited.           |   owned Pizza Pizza (he always delivers).

2. initializing a single hfs partition?

3. bootpd 2.1-4and Slackware 2.1

4. help with sound

5. NTeX for Slackware 3.0 gives segmentation faults

6. Free Beer for Linuxers!!!

7. NTeX installation from Slackware

8. missing dev file?

9. dvips/nTeX/Slackware help!

10. Slackware replaces NTeX with teTeX !

11. NTeX and dvips (Slackware 3.1)

12. Font location problems in Slackware NTeX

13. How to make a bootimage disk, like the bootdsks.144 ins slackware.