Using MH 6.8.3 with POP

Post by Dimitri Vlahak » Wed, 12 Jan 1994 02:38:15

I'm trying to retrieve my mail from a pop 3 server.  I downloaded the mh
binary distribution, and I tried to execute the popi executable, but I
get the message:

popi: tcp/pop: unknown service

I'm not sure what in the configuration I've left out.  Any advice?

d.
--

Using MH 6.8.3 with POP

Post by Devon Tu » Wed, 12 Jan 1994 04:14:17

I am trying to decide between using an AIR Qaccess controller which has
an adaptec chip on it to support 1520 and 1522, or the Ultrastor 34f.

I understand both are supported under Linux.  I also understand that the
hard drive is the bottle neck for speed.  However... the Ultrastor is a
local bus card and I understand the 34f uses faster, more advanced
technology.

So the question is, just *how* much faster will it be?

My goal here is to support Linux, SCO, Unixware, and possibly others, so I
needed something that was very standard.  The Ultrastor is FAST-SCSI-II,
but most disk drives under 1 gigabyte (including mine) are not I understand.

Thank you,
     Devon Tuck

Using MH 6.8.3 with POP

Post by Daniel L Moor » Wed, 12 Jan 1994 04:42:44

>I'm trying to retrieve my mail from a pop 3 server.  I downloaded the mh
>binary distribution, and I tried to execute the popi executable, but I
>get the message:
>popi: tcp/pop: unknown service
>I'm not sure what in the configuration I've left out.  Any advice?

I have and use a pop server for my mail.  To get past the "unknown service"
message, edit your /etc/services file.  There you'll find two lines like:

pop-2           109/tcp                         # PostOffice V.2
pop-3           110/tcp                         # PostOffice V.3

Comment out the pop-3 line with a # and add:

pop             110/tcp

I use two of the mh commands: inc and msgchk

But here is where I wish things where standardized.  If the pop server your
connecting to is one which was designed for a Macintosh or an IBM (MSDOS) then
it's probably using the popper daemon.  The popper daemon does not understand
trusted host parameters so you can't automatically check for new mail or
retrieve new mail.

So I use the command:

inc -host <remote-host> -user <user-name-on-remote-host> -norpop

for me this is:

inc -host uxa -user mooredan -norpop

then it will prompt for your password.

msgchk doesn't work at all with popper, try it and see.

I've gotten the source for mh and hope to hack the inc and msgchk commands to
work with popper.

Dan

Using MH 6.8.3 with POP

Post by Brandon S. Allbe » Wed, 12 Jan 1994 09:17:48

+---------------
| I'm trying to retrieve my mail from a pop 3 server.  I downloaded the mh
| binary distribution, and I tried to execute the popi executable, but I
| get the message:
|
| popi: tcp/pop: unknown service
+---------------

Add the alias "pop" to either the pop2 or pop3 service in /etc/services.
Example:

pop-2           109/tcp         pop2            # PostOffice V.2
pop-3           110/tcp         pop pop3        # PostOffice V.3

The pop3 service is preferred if you don't need to support outdated POP2
clients on port 109.

It probably won't work anyway; MH turns out to want some special mail system
configuration to support a POP server properly.  smail or sendmail or etc.
must deliver mail to a mailbox in /usr/spool/pop, which is where the MH popd
checks for mail.  The MH administrator's guide suggests that just letting the
POP service use /usr/spool/mail will cause problems.  :-(

I am trying to work out a semi-reasonable MH POP configuration; I'll repost
the MH binaries with corrected POP and BBoards support once I figure out how
to do it without ripping the whole mail system to shreds...  (If someone with
POP experience wants to send me mail helping me untangle this, please do so; I
can run a NOS POP client, but Unix POP configuration is new to me.)

++Brandon
--

"MSDOS didn't get as bad as it is overnight -- it took over ten years

Do not taunt Happy Fun Coder.   (seen on the Net...)

1. xmh-pop-1.0b - mh/xmh with POP/Unix auth. support

--

xmh-pop-1.0b (beta release) is available in ftp://ftp.ceram.fr/system/mail

#### INTRODUCTION

  This package will allow xmh to properly interact with the MH
package when MH has been compiled with POP / UNIX authentication
support. The added functionalities are:

- the ability to prompt the user for a password
- the ability to detect if a forked mh command requires a passwd (as
inc and msgchk do), and to feed the command with the password

#### WHAT ELSE'S NEEDED

- MH-6.8.3 source tree:
  minor changes to the MH package are unfortunately required. See
  README.MH for details.
  The patch is included in this distribution, see instructions below.

  Once the patch has been applied, the MH package must be recompiled
  with POP support, and UNIX authentication; refer to the MH
  documentation for more instructions.

- You will have to patch and recompile xmh. See the file README.XMH
  for a description of the changes to xmh.

mh-6.8.3, popper-1.831, xmh-mitR5, and xmh-pop are available via
anonymous ftp on ftp.ceram.fr in the directory /system/mail:

  ftp://ftp.ceram.fr/system/mail

#### SECURITY

-  The approach used implies storing a x-ored clear text password in
  the memory space of a running program (xmh) for the lifetime of the
  program. If you are unsure about the risks this implies, you probably
  shouldn't use this patch.

-  The patches to MH will generate programs (e.g. inc & msgchk) that
  read passwords from their standard  input. This will allow a silly
  user to store a clear text password in a file or a script so as to
  feed it automatically to the mh programs.

- xmh will feed external programs (e.g. inc) with clear-text
  passwords: better make sure these programs aren't trojan horses. As
  a consequence the way xmh looks for mh binaries has been modified,
  see README.XMH

#### KNOWN PROBLEMS

- We got many many deadlocks with the select in xmh/command.c, which
  never returned even though the MH command did write on stderr. The
  problem disapeared after we replaced vfork by fork in command.c, but
  we are unsure if this was really causing the problem.. there may be
  a bug laying around there

The program succesfully compiled and is being tested for the following
configs:

SunOS 4.1.3_U1 1 / Sun cc -O
SunOS 4.1.3_U1 1 / gcc-2.4.5 -fstrength-reduce -fpcc-struct-return
HP-UX A.09.05    / HP cc +O1 -Aa +DA1.0
HP-UX A.09.05    / gcc-2.4.5 -fstrength-reduce -fpcc-struct-return -O -ansi

  Comments appreciated.

        Frank Mangin                            Tel: (33) 93 65 78 57

2. embedded linux query

3. pop server besides MH that has to be compiled on LinUx?

4. Linux Alpha Options?

5. MH and POP question

6. Solaris vs. Linux

7. Help with XMH and MH (was: Re: MH for Linux, *please*!

8. Dosemu0.49pl3 Killed and display questions

9. Appendix letters using MH macros

10. Setting your return path using mh/Xmh ???

11. Using pgp with mh

12. POP to POP mail servers

13. Pop 2 and Pop 3 running concurrently