How to play .au files

Post by Shane Turn » Mon, 10 Jan 1994 15:09:05

Would some kind soul please give me a hand in figuring out what packages
I need (if any) to simply play Sparc audio files.

I currently am running pl14 of the kernel (pl 14o sometimes) and have a
soundblaster compatible soundcard.

Ciao,
        Shane

How to play .au files

Post by Stig Vena » Mon, 10 Jan 1994 16:55:06

>Would some kind soul please give me a hand in figuring out what packages
>I need (if any) to simply play Sparc audio files.

>I currently am running pl14 of the kernel (pl 14o sometimes) and have a
>soundblaster compatible soundcard.

All you need to do is compile the kernel with sound support. Then you
can play audio files by doing
cat nice.au>/dev/audio
--

How to play .au files

Post by Ron Smi » Tue, 11 Jan 1994 18:42:13

: >Would some kind soul please give me a hand in figuring out what packages
: >I need (if any) to simply play Sparc audio files.
: >
:
: All you need to do is compile the kernel with sound support. Then you
: can play audio files by doing
: cat nice.au>/dev/audio
: --

what you could also do is get the snd-util.2.0 package which has a
au player and a .mod player

        Ron Smits

1. How to play .au files (reliably)

Hi,

        This must be a FAQ but I haven't seen it anywhere and I've checked
the new Sound HOWTO.  I'm trying to play sun .au files.  There is no problem
playing files sampled at 8000Hz, mono - I can just cat them to /dev/audio.
The problem is that I want to play .au files which have  different sampling
frequencies, nos of channels, etc (this is going to support Mosiac so it
could get anything - hopefully most people who put up pages use .au format
for any bits of sound).  I have got the Sox 7 utility from Sunsite and the
vplay utility from the snd-util package.  The only way I can reliably play
.au files is to do the following pipe:

sox -t au - -t ub -r 44000 - | vplay -s 44000
(The o/p from Mosaic is piped to this)

Apart from being a terrible kludge, the conversion adds noise to 8kHz
samples.  I have read the sox7.readme file, creating the sym-link from
/dev/dsp.sbdsp to /dev/dsp and then using sox <filename> /dev/dsp.sbdsp
appears to play files sampled at 22050kHz back at 44kHz.

        Am I just being stupid and there's a really easy way to do it?

        Oh, I'm running a 0.99pl15b kernel with a Sound Blaster 16.  Every
thing else woks wonderfully, vplay will play wavs, etc with no problem, I
just can't play non 8000 Hz .au files!

        Thanks in advance for your help,

                Dale.

*  Dale Shuttleworth                                                         *
*  Dept of Elec Eng,  Brunel University, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH, UK               *

2. oracle 8 and SCO

3. How can i play .au files?

4. problem w/ cardmgr shutdown

5. Playing .au files

6. CD-RW or DVD(+-)RW?

7. DRI-Problems SuSE 7.2 XFree 4.0.3 Matrox G200 8MB

8. Can't play .au files

9. playing .au file in Mosaic

10. playing .au files through /dev/audio ??

11. Playing .au files??