TAMU install question; may be stupid...

Post by Bob Mye » Tue, 02 Nov 1993 22:02:07

I'm in the process of installing the TAMU release (.99p12+) to replace the
older SLS release that I have on my system.  Currently, TAMU is on my first
drive, while I'm running SLS off of my 2nd drive (nice thing, floppy boot disks...).

Anyway, is it possible for me to install all of the SRC.** disks to the
first drive while running under SLS?  i.e.:

1) mount first drive as an ext2-type drive.
2) cd to first drive's /usr/src area
3) issue the "mr /dev/fd0H1440 |gzip -d| tar xf -" command

Only thing I think i need to verify before doing this is that the /etc/passwd
file on the current SLS disk has corresponding user/group numbers for root and some
of the other default accounts (ala bin, uucp, and so forth).

-bob

says...

I admire your passion, Chris..

The only issues which have kept myself from looking seriously at Linux
would be:

* It's Unix and the learning curve to start getting productive strikes me
as probably very steep

* It doesn't support plug-and-play.  If your hardware doesn't have Linux
drivers, it don't play..

* Not nearly the amount of developers out there doing stuff for Linux as
there are for Wintel.  Can I get MS Office for Linux?  Can I get
Photoshop for Linux?  Can I get QuarkXpress for Linux? etc.. a big turn
off for me.

--
Reuben King
Email: "reuben at texas dot net" (in plain english to foil spam-bots.

2. RCP / TLI Problem with Solaris8 (rpcinfo)

3. restricting access to a specific URL

4. Stupid Unix question (may be amusing)

5. TGA Video Card setup!

6. this may be a stupid question, but I'm a bear of very little brain

7. Official Penguin on Tosh Support

8. Another may be stupid question.

9. This may be a stupid question, but are there Linux viruses (virii?)?

10. this may be a stupid question, but I'm a bear of very little brain

11. OK, this may be a stupid question...

12. --stupid question but then there are no stupid questions--