My Xandros Review

Post by Shawn Mi » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 08:22:33

Since you're such a helpful, friendly group of people, I was wondering
if you would do me a favor.

I wrote a review of the Xandros distribution, and I would like it if
some of you would read it and comment on it.  As a group, you have a
wide range of experience and are at many different levels of knowledge
about linux.

If anyone would let me know if they don't like anything about it, what
kind of things they think are missing, and the like, I would
appreciate it.

Thanks,
Shawn

Review:

www.linurati.net and choose "The Writings" to find the Xandros review.

My Xandros Review

Post by Paul Emmon » Sun, 25 May 2003 17:00:33

I thought that it was a great review.  I read it yesterday and re-read
it just now.

You provided a lot of information without jargon.

I do think that a review should describe any problems that were
experienced during installation and configuration.  An experienced
Linux hacker would be likely to treat many of these as mere
annoyances, but they can stop a newbie cold and leave him feeling
helpless and discouraged.

But if there were no problems, especially when you tested it by
installing it on several machines, that's great and there's no need to
go off on cute tangents like how one of the machines belongs to your
girl friend and you need to preserve all her files, etc.-- as another
'reviewer' did ad nauseum.

Nice work!

My Xandros Review

Post by Shawn Mil » Sun, 25 May 2003 18:57:25

> I thought that it was a great review.  I read it yesterday and re-read
> it just now.

> You provided a lot of information without jargon.

> I do think that a review should describe any problems that were
> experienced during installation and configuration.  An experienced
> Linux hacker would be likely to treat many of these as mere
> annoyances, but they can stop a newbie cold and leave him feeling
> helpless and discouraged.

> But if there were no problems, especially when you tested it by
> installing it on several machines, that's great and there's no need to
> go off on cute tangents like how one of the machines belongs to your
> girl friend and you need to preserve all her files, etc.-- as another
> 'reviewer' did ad nauseum.

> Nice work!

I'm glad you liked the review.  Well, there really aren't any problems
configuring or installing.  It's all automatic.

The only thing I had to do out of the ordinary (non point & click) was
to put the manfid of my wireless card in /etc/pcmcia/opts, but that is
not the case for all cards, and I have been told by Xandros that they
expect the next version to be much better at that.

The only annoyances/problems that I ran into with Xandros is that it
doesn't set up any kind of power management by default, so your laptop
battery will probably last about 30 minutes.  A Xandros employee has put
up step-by-step instructions int the forum (http://forum.xandros.com/)
which tell you how to enable APM.  I haven't tried them yet.

The only other (major) complaint I get from people (Windows users I am
trying to convert) is that they can't play their store-bought DVDs on
it.  I heard that complaint so damn many times that I wrote a HOWTO
about it, and put it on Linurati.net alongside the Xandros review.

I hope more people find the review and HOWTO useful, so I'm going to
post the link to both here:

http://www.linurati.net/thewritings/index.html

Enjoy!
Shawn

1. Another Xandros review.

nice and all, but for $100 why would a windows user switch?

What if he/she/it only has one machine, the activation stuff is moot and
the machine came with an OS. If they are lloking to get people to switch
they should cut the price in half.

--
David

http://www.mameworld.net/  MameWorld, The largest MAME resource on the net
http://www.mandrakelinux.com Activation Free since November 1998
http://www.tombstones.org.uk/burners.php - Free CD MAME ROM Offer

2. 2.2.x SMP and DK440LX issues

3. Xandros review

4. internals

5. Review: TurboLinux 8.0 Server Edition - Warning: Harsh Review

6. SB PCI128 and Red Hat Linux - Problems

7. Review: Sharp Zaurus reviewed at infoSync

8. power management stuff doesn't work?!

9. xandros

10. Suse, Xandros, Libranet, Knoppix

11. Xandros and Wireless

12. Motorola SM56 on Xandros

13. scanModem, Xandros Desktop kernel 2.6.9-x1