Best linux setup

Post by Nelson Guirad » Tue, 06 Mar 2001 06:57:01

I currently have a 30 gig HD with 2 partitions. I dual boot Me and Win 2000.
If I wanted to put Linux on my machine, what would be the best way?

Best linux setup

Post by Elizabet » Mon, 19 Mar 2001 20:55:33

First you need partition magic (or some other on-the-fly partion software)....to
partition your drive.

> I currently have a 30 gig HD with 2 partitions. I dual boot Me and Win 2000.
> If I wanted to put Linux on my machine, what would be the best way?

Best linux setup

Post by Eil » Sun, 25 Mar 2001 22:44:04

Erm, no you don't. I don't know about other distros, but Mandrake 7.0 and
higher come with a very comprehensive partition manager called DiskDrake.
It's run automatically during the intsall.

As for the original question, I personally would make a 3rd primary
partition for root, and then a 4th with a few extended partitions inside
for rest. (/usr, /var, /home, et al)

> First you need partition magic (or some other on-the-fly partion
> software)....to partition your drive.

>> I currently have a 30 gig HD with 2 partitions. I dual boot Me and Win
>> 2000. If I wanted to put Linux on my machine, what would be the best
>> way?

1. What's the BEST Linux setup?

I've been reading the group for a while, getting ready to take the Linux
plunge. Hoping you all can give me a couple of pointers to get started
in the right direction...

Is it Red Hat vs Slackware or are there others? Which is best for
someone starting in today?
Which version?
I'm running a Pentium 166mhz, 32MB ram...Compaq Presario 4772 . It has
all the vanilla Compaq multimedia addons - video card, sound, camera, cd
and usb ports. I'll probably be adding a tape backup system w/4GB+
capacity.
What kind of driver issues should I expect?

What's the best boot manager (for my configuration)?
I have Win95 on a 3.8GB C drive. Have a new 3.5GB Maxtor IDE/AT hard
drive yet to install. I want to use the new drive for Linux work.
Does this make sense, and how will it affect the boot management?
What's the best way to install the new hard disk if it's just for Linux?
Is the approach of booting from C for Win95 and booting from D for Linux
a sound approach?
Other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond. Everyone had to start
sometime.

2. "Setuid execution not allowed" - what's the problem ?

3. Best Linux Set-up ?

4. Linux beginner needs help with disk problem

5. Setup Question: I want to know the best way to setup an SMTP spooler for Exchange

6. GUI design tools?

7. HELP: Best way to setup SUN and Linux and PC's on home network...

8. Console Message at the logon screen

9. What's the Best Setup for Linux/W95 System?

10. best Micron P90 setup for Linux?

11. Best Linux/Win dual boot setup?

12. Newbie - Best/Good linux drive setup

13. Which Linux OS best for beginner to setup as Web / Mail server / Internet sharer and firewall?