Removing a Master boot record from the wrong partitoin ?!

Removing a Master boot record from the wrong partitoin ?!

Post by Kristja » Thu, 01 Mar 2001 20:55:54

Hi all

I have just installed Mandrake 7.2, and ran into a problem. In the first
attempt I failed to choose the right partition to place my boot record.
When asked i choose hda1 instead of hda !
This way i could only boot with a boot floppy into windows and Linux
didn't work at all.

So i tried again, know choosing the fast installation fore dummies, and
everything went well. Linux Mandrake 7.2 is now running fine and im now
using GRUB as boot manager.

My problem is that I cant boot to WINDOWS, because my C: partition all
of a sudden has become a unknown media type. This is the error i get
when writing dir in DOS on c:, my other partitions work fine.
The strange thing is that i can see all the files on the windows
partition from linux, after mounting. So there's no data lost!

My guess is that the C: partition got a mbr in my first attempt to
install Mandrake 7.2, with these results. But I could be wrong?! The
reason i think this is that when GRUB start i get STAGE 1 and then STAGE
2 in the screen before i get the options menu. When choosing Linux all's
fine, but when choosing Windows i get:
        title Windows
        root (hd0,0)
        make active
        Chainloader + 1
and then
        STAGE 1
and nothing else happens.
so it looks like its starting another GRUB when directed to (hd0,0).

I have tried so reset the active partition with fdisk from a Win98 boot
floppy, but the partition information's always shows that the system
type on primary partition c: is unknown.

I have also tried with cfdisk from linux but that didn't help either.
Here everything looks fine the system type/Label on hda1 is set to WIN95
FAT32.

Can anyone help my. I would like to try to remove the false mbr from c:
but i cant write fdisk /mbr on the c: drive in dos because of the
unknown media type error. Is there a way?

I got a tip from another news group that formatting the partition
wouldn't help !?

Thanks to those reading all the way down to here and excuse my bad
english.

Kristjan

Removing a Master boot record from the wrong partitoin ?!

Post by Moshe Samue » Fri, 02 Mar 2001 13:30:08

I don't know grub... but lilo (the Linux boot loader in RedHat has a -u
or -U option which removes the lilo record from the MBR and returns it to
its previous state (on install it kindly backs up what was there before).
This even helped me when I lost access to my Windoze installation because my
drive is run by EZboot disk management software which lives in the MBR and
was evicted by lilo (When will Windoze learn to read a hard drive?)  If grub
has a similar option...
MoSam