Problem connecting to the Samba Server!!

Problem connecting to the Samba Server!!

Post by SS » Sat, 17 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi All,

I have both win98(client) and Linux(Samba Server) Machine on my network.
While I can find the Linux machine from my win98 machine in
network-nightborhood, but I can't get into it because when I click the linux
icon, I was asked to input a password. after input the password, the error
message"invalid password, try again" come out.
I don't know why... Please help ^_^

P.S. I can login linux machine by telnet and ftp from my win98 machine

Problem connecting to the Samba Server!!

Post by James Or » Sat, 17 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Try ...
1. Use the same login name (and password?) on win98 as on linux.  I don't
think this is necessary for all configurations but it makes things easier.
2. Either enable plain text passwords in windows, or enable encrypted
passwords in samba.  Enabling plain text passwords in windows is easiest,
check the samba docs or M$ support site.

- James

>Hi All,

>I have both win98(client) and Linux(Samba Server) Machine on my network.
>While I can find the Linux machine from my win98 machine in
>network-nightborhood, but I can't get into it because when I click the
linux
>icon, I was asked to input a password. after input the password, the error
>message"invalid password, try again" come out.
>I don't know why... Please help ^_^

>P.S. I can login linux machine by telnet and ftp from my win98 machine

Problem connecting to the Samba Server!!

Post by Paul Se » Wed, 28 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Win98 sennds encrypted passwords. You need to configure Samba to use
encrypted passwords. The ENCRYPTION.txt file that comes in the
/usr/doc/samba directory gives instructions for doing that.

>Hi All,

>I have both win98(client) and Linux(Samba Server) Machine on my network.
>While I can find the Linux machine from my win98 machine in
>network-nightborhood, but I can't get into it because when I click the linux
>icon, I was asked to input a password. after input the password, the error
>message"invalid password, try again" come out.
>I don't know why... Please help ^_^

>P.S. I can login linux machine by telnet and ftp from my win98 machine

Problem connecting to the Samba Server!!

Post by Rob » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

How to disable encrypted passwords in Win98 is also explained in
C:\Windows\networks.txt