Problem: ol(v)wm and XFree3.1 on Mach32

Post by Alexander Kandzi » Sat, 05 Nov 1994 17:54:27

Hi all,

i've installed XFree 3.1 and OpenWindows from
the Slackware 2.0.2 Distribution.

With XF2.1.1 there was no Problems with OpenWindows,
but now with XF3.1:

  1) olvwm "freezes" when i try to switch virtual screens,
     so i can only use olwm
  2) Something's wrong with the OpenWindow bitmaps.
     The icons of all my OpenWindow applications
     (xvnews, shelltool etc.) are somehow corrupted.
     The icons of normal X-Apps (like xterm) are o.k.
     The bitmap that appears in the OpenWindows help-screen
     is corrupted too.
  3) Sometimes, the desktop (olwm) locks up and won't accept any
     input. The system is still running, but i can't do anyting.

I'm using the Mach32 Server.

Does anyone know help?

Is there someone for whom OpenWindows and XF3.1
are running together without problems?

---
Aloa

  Alex :-)
                   \|/
                  (O O)
---------------ooo--U--ooo---------------
*********** Alexander Kandzior **********

Flames: > NULL

1. ANNOUNCE: New release of XView libraries, OL[V]WM and tools

An updated release of my XView port has been uploaded to tsx-11.mit.edu
and sunsite.unc.edu. The new package is called xview3L3.tar.Z, and will
replace xview3L2 in tsx-11:/pub/linux/binaries/usr.bin.X11/.

The xview libraries (olgx, xview and sspkg) have been recompiled with
GCC 2.3.3, and olwm and the other tools use libc4.2. There are two
major additions to the package:

- olvwm is now included. This is olvwm 3.3. All functions that I have tried
works, including DIRMENU & WINMENU.

- Added a new (static) library to the package for C++ programmers, called UIT
(User Interface Toolkit). Here is a short description:

WHAT IS UIT (from introduction in UIT documentation)
The UIT is a tool/class library for C++ programmers developing OpenWindows
user interfaces.

The UIT has two parts:
* A hierarchy of OpenLook-conformant user-interface classes, realized in
  C++ on top of the XView toolkit. These are the user-interface components
  (UIC).

* A tool to convert OpenWindows developer's guide (DevGuide) output into
  C++ code that uses the UIC. This part is the guide to UIC utility, or `guic`.

  [note. `guic` was provided as a Sun-binary only, and is not included in the
  linux package (anyone wanna build a Sparc emulator:-) :-) I'd recommend
  getting the whole package from export.lcs.mit.edu, the Postscript docs are
  over 1MB, and not included]

To get a feeling for the UIT API, here is a "hello world" type program
which opens a window and displays the usual string in it. Who said X Windows
development must be difficult? :-)

// Simple hello world program using UIT
#include <uit/BaseWindow.h>
#include <uit/ComponentDisplay.h>
#include <uit/TextItem.h>
#include <uit/Notifier.h>

main (int argc, char **argv) {
  BaseWindow w;                     // Create window
  w.initUI(argc, argv);
  w.setWidth(230); w.setHeight(68);
  w.setDisplayFooter(FALSE);
  w.setLabel("UIT Window");
  w.show(TRUE);

  ComponentDisplay c(TRUE);         // Create canvas
  c.setLocation(0, 0);
  c.setWidth(230); c.setHeight(68);
  w.addDisplay(c);

  TextItem t("Hello World");        // Create text string
  t.setLocation(80, 30);
  c.addComponent(t);

  Notifier n;                       // Realize it
  n.start();

I also wrote a "real" example, a program I call Linux Meminfo, which
obtains information from /proc/meminfo, /proc/loadavg and /proc/uptime,
and presents the data using OpenLook gauges. The program is included
as source in the package. (requires a recent linux kernel to work)

--

2. Windows 95, most people don't know their ass from their elbow.

3. ol[v]wm is so SLOW?

4. Integrating HP Workstations in a Sun 4.1.x NIS Domain

5. ANNOUNCE: New release of XView libraries, tools and ol[v]wm

6. S3, 8514, and the general card mess

7. ol*wm for XFree86 3.1.1 (15-bit HiColor) under Linux?

8. Kaudioserver problems (sound in general)

9. Printer problem :) (same ol' - same ol')

10. X works, but not ol(v)wm!

11. OL[V]WM troubles solved.

12. XFree3.2, Mach32, 16bpp, ghosting

13. Need Help, XFree3.1/Mach32