Newbie Slackware Installer Needs Help

Post by Jason Kolosei » Fri, 17 Feb 1995 23:58:05

I recently purchaced Slackware Professional 2.1 from Morse Telecommunications.
I have a 486DX/33 with the following hardware:
    - DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1
    - ISA bus
    - 8Mb of memory
    - ATI VGA Wonder XL (28800-6 chipset)
        - build in bus mouse
    - SoundBlaster Pro w/Panasonic CD-ROM

Last night I cleared up 200 Mb of space and tried to install Linux -(11:00pm)
 - I made the boot and root floppies based on sbpcd and color144
 - Reboot the computer using the new boot floppy
 - Added 3 new primary partitions:
        - 135Mb for the root partition
        - 16Mb swap partition
        - 50Mb users partition
 - ran setup
 - created the appropiate Linux file systems
 - specified dos partition I wanted access to
 - Install a semi-complete version of Linux (kernel 1.1.59)
   with many links for /usr files pointing to the cdrom
 - created a boot disk
 - installed LILO with options for Linux and DOS
 - configured the mouse
 - rebooted the computer -(2:45am)
    - all the harddrive partitions were mounted (Linux and DOS)
    - logged in as root.
    - found out the CD-ROM didn't mount(I cant remember the errors sorry
      (the number 1900 comes to mind))
    - could do anything useful because much of the system is linked to
      the CD-ROM (vi, vim, gcc, etc.)

Questions and Assumptions(yeah I know what it stands for):
  - I'm assuming that the default kernel doesn't support the CD-ROM even
    though the initial boot floppy did.
  - What do I do?
  - Do I modify the kernel source and recompile?
    - I can't change and recompile the kernal without vi and gcc(catch 22)

  - Help Please. Did I*up, miss something in the 600+ page manual?

Thank you

                  \     /
  +---------+   +--\---/--+
  |         |   |   \ /   |     In the game of life,
  | s a v e |   | l oXa d |      you can't load your
  |         |   |   / \   |      saved games.
  +---------+   +--/---\--+
                  /     \

1. FreeBSD newbie needs help w/install--installer crashes

Hi all,

I'm having problems installing FreeBSD 4.1 and would appreciate some help. The
installer crashes after the kernel configuration--it just stops dead and I have
to hit reset. If I look in the second virtual terminal, I see the message: "4,1
ad0: reading primary partition table: error reading fsbn 0". On a whim I tried
the Free BSD 4.5 installation diskettes just to see what would happen. With the
4.5 diskettes I can get to the disklabel editor, but I get the warning "Max one
'fat' allowed as child of 'whole'" (I suppose this refers to the two primary
windows partitions on my hard drive). Anyway, I'm able to create a FreeBSD
slice and partitions within it normally and exit the disklabel editor, but when
I try to specify the source medium for the installation, I get the message "No
CD/DVD devices found", even though I have just a plain vanilla IDE CD-ROM
drive. What gives?

Thanks in advance,

Richard Sembera.

2. Modprobe problem

3. Help with installer from slackware

5. Newbie needs Slackware Installaltion Help

6. Sync time on network

7. Newbie needs help installing Slackware 3.4

8. How to config arp proxy with a subnet ??

9. Newbie needs help with NIC under slackware 3.0.0

10. newbie who needs help with the slackware "n" series!

11. Hi, i'm a newbie and I need help concerning the setup of Linux (slackware)

12. slackware, newbie needs help with setup and fdisk

13. SCSI Tape in slackware - newbie needs help