Clearing up console in line-draw character mode

Post by Andries Brouw » Sat, 15 Oct 1994 20:47:56

>I've had this information before, but it isn't any of the places I've
>looked and I can't find it in the man pages, so I'm going to ask
>*again*.  I've got a console stuck in the high half of the character
>table.  I'm pretty sure there's a simple escape sequence to issue to
>get it out, but I can't figure out what it is (it isn't, for example,
>the terminal init sequence from the termcap entry).  Somebody wanna
>mail it to me?  *This* time it'll get embedded in a script and I won't
>lose it, I promise!

You can find this in at least three FAQs, and it is discussed on
this group several times a week, but in order to reset your console
print Esc c (two symbols), as in  echo -e '\033c'.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, proprietor, The Terraboard             Minneapolis, MN

Web URL: http://www.mtn.org/~ddb (SF, photo)

1. Linux and console line draw characters

| I have a question. If I print characters 0x20 to 0xff on the console
| I do not see any graphic line draw characters. How can I tell linux
| to change the font so as to give me those line draw characters?

You have to send the sequence ESC ( U which I do in a little shell script
(what a waste!, should be an alias really) that goes like this;

        printf "\x1b(U"
        stty tab3

Now, that's for the IBM character set like in crappy old DOS. If you want
the VT100 alternate set with the line drawing characters you send ESC ( 0
instead - they replace the lowercase characters I think.

The stty tab3 is needed in IBM minimal-translation mode to convert tabs to
spaces, otherwise you get IBM character number 9 on screen running 'ls' and
the like. :(

To turn it off and get normal characters back again, for either the IBM
stuff or VT100 line-draw chars, send ESC ( B with something like this;

        printf "\x1b(B"

The 'minimal translations' are just enough to allow the console to work
properly, and also just enough to run Nethack with the IBM character set. :)

| Thanks...

Cheers,
-Rus.

--

\ ::: "His world is under anaesthetic - subdivided and synthetic" - Rush ::: /

2. Newbie with some background

3. Console line drawing characters display garbage

4. fvwm95 on redhat 7.2 says" fvwm-95: in function main: <<ERROR>> can't open display

5. Line drawing characters missing from RedHat 8.0 linux console font/termio?

6. HELP! X app won't fit in available desktop workspace

7. Linux and console line draw characters

8. What is reverse DNS !

9. linux and line draw characters on console messes up

10. line drawing characters on solaris x86 console?

11. problem with "line drawing" characters on Linux console

12. aixterm font for vt100 line draw characters

13. VT line drawing characters how?