Boot problems with rebuild kernal

Post by Eric L. Rein » Mon, 03 Jan 1994 02:05:08

HELP!
I just build a new kernal to add ftape support.  Since
making/installing the
new kernal, when Linux boots is always needs to do the fsck check and
always
finds problems.  There are no errors reported duruing shutdown. If I
restore the "old" kernal, there are no problems.  Any ideas???
I am running 0.99.13 on a PS/1 486, DX2.  I have the "slackware"
release.

Thanks
Eric Reiner

1. Kernal rebuild problem

I have attempted to re-build my kernel to add floppy tape support, and
can't successfully boot the new kernel.

I am rebuilding 0.99.14 by cd'ing to /usr/src and running :

        make config (and answering the appropriate questions)
        make dep; make clean
        make

and then cp'ing zImage to /vmlinuz (saving the old kernel first !). The
kernel sort-of boots, however none of my fs's are mounted, and it appears
that /etc/rc.local does not execute (and since I have /usr on a separate
filesystem, nothing works !). After a bunch of errors about /usr/* not
found, I get a login prompt, but cannot login, as I am told that I have
to exec from the lowest level shell (although this might be because some
stuff in /usr is missing).

Renaming the old kernel brings the system back to normal. I called the guy
who gave me the Slackware distribution, and after rebuilding the kernel
his rc.local does not execute either (although I believe he said that his
fs's are mounted (I am using EXT2, although I am not sure what fstype he
is using).

I am a newbie to Linux, and have attempted to grep through the FAQ's. Does
this problem sound familiar to anyone ? I can post more details, however
since both my friend and I have weird problems after re-building the
kernel, I am wondering if there is something obvious that we are both
missing.

Regards,

Dave.

2. Xi Display Server

3. nfs problem after rebuild the kernal

4. Root Logins

5. BOOT KERNAL WORKS, INSTALLED KERNAL FAILS :(

6. X4.0.1 won't start,help!

7. Rebuild of kernal

8. value of $_

9. Linux Kernal Rebuild

10. Rebuild Kernal

11. Sound Driver rebuild of kernal

12. slackware 96 kernal rebuild?

13. Linux 5.1 and Digi PC/xr without a kernal rebuild.