(Q) Fahrenheit display adapter

Post by Ian Wa » Sun, 03 Jul 1994 15:53:20

(I already posted this in comp.os.linux, but got an automated
reply saying I shouldn't 've, so I hope it's now in the right
group :-)

I've just installed the LGX (Yggdrasil Plug-and-Play) Summer 1994
release from CD-ROM.  Almost everything has worked fine so far,
but with one major exception.

The exception is X window refresh.  I'm using a Fahrenheit 1280
S3 display adapter with an NEC Multisync 4FG display, on a 386 with
8MB RAM and 8MB swap.

Xconfig specifies s3_generic (but I've tried several others as
well).

X starts up OK, and I can start a number of clients without any
problem.  However, if I move the client windows around the screen,
the exposed areas are not always repainted.  As I do more of
this, individual text characters in different windows start to disappear,
then some characters change shape to become rectangular black blobs,
then some time later the X cursor changes shape, becoming a series
of parallel vertical lines about half an inch long (somewhat like the
bar codes imprinted on books etc).  In the end, the screen becomes
totally unusable.

It looks like it's a backing store/save-under problem.  I've
tried starting the server with commands like:

   xinit -- /var/xconfig/Xserver :0 -bs  (and/or -wm)

but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

I've also tried different window managers, but no difference.

According to the README files in /usr/lib/X11/etc, this card
should work OK.  I've also tried modifying DIL switches on the
card, to switch shadow ROM on/off etc, all to no avail.
(And BTW, the card works very well with DOS/Windows).

In desperation, I substituted an old SVGA card.  That works
fine without any of these problems, but is desperately slow,
and I don't get the 1024x768 resolution.

So I really want to get the Fahrenheit card working.

Can you help?

--
Ian Wade
Dowermain Ltd

1. Video Qs: setting more lines, rotating the display.

I would like to configure my monitor on my PC running linux to use more than
25 lines and 80 columns.  EGA mode with 43 (?) columsn would be fine, nothing
fancy.

I'm not sure where to start looking to do this.  Is there a utility which
sets the video attributes which I can include in the startup?

Pointers would be greatly appreciated on this topic.

In a related manner (though perhaps much harder to do) I would like to be able
to turn my monitor sideways so it is taller than it is wide.  Are there any
utilities that will display the video sideways?  I've seen joke programs that
do things like turn the display upside down, but I don't even know where to
find something like that.
type

Any suggestions on these topics would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Random Number Generators

3. X and Chips & Tech display adaptor?

4. XDM starts up with a blank screen.

5. Xconfig for Gateway 4dx2/66v with "Rocket Display Adaptor" and Crystalscan 1572fs

6. redhat linux6.0 : X-WINDOWS CONFIGURATION AND GRAPHICS BASTER RIVATNT2 DISPALY CARD

7. Riva TNT Display Adapters on Red Hat?

8. Logitech Serial mouse problem!

9. 8-bit display on a 24-bit adapter?

10. Matrox PCI display adapter

11. Problem with display adapter in X Windows

12. Multiple Displays on Multiple adapters under XFree86 4.0

13. Help with Multia & display adapter