Printing under Linux

Post by PLAZIS Stepha » Tue, 17 Jan 1995 18:57:55

Hey,

        I search someone who has configured an deskjet HP 520 under
linux because I don't arrive to set up my printer.

The Printing Howto is very explicit for this type of printer and so if someone could help me ,it'll very nice to send me the listing of printcap entry
,input filters and all entry which can be interesting for printing PS

I hope many answer by e-mail or via news in this group

        A French New User of Linux ,

*                                                   *

*                                                   *

Printing under Linux

Post by Chuck Hamilt » Wed, 18 Jan 1995 05:24:11

writes:

Quote:

>    I search someone who has configured an deskjet HP 520 under
>linux because I don't arrive to set up my printer.

>The Printing Howto is very explicit for this type of printer and so if

someone could help me ,it'll very nice to send me the listing of
printcap entry

Quote:>,input filters and all entry which can be interesting for printing PS

>I hope many answer by e-mail or via news in this group

I had problems setting up my HP DeskJet 500 too. The how-to gives a
filter that sends an escape sequence to the printer that causes it to
automatically supply the necessar CR when it finds an LF. But it didn't
work for the DJ500 and possibly not for your 520 too. Use the generic
filter it recommends and that should fix it. Below is a copy of the
generic /usr/lib/lpf filter.

     #!/bin/sh
     if [ "$1" = -c ]; then
       cat
     else
       sed -e s/$/^M/
     fi
     # the ``echo -ne'' assumes that /bin/sh is really bash
     echo -ne \\f

Where `^M' is a carriage return character not a `^' followed by a `M'.
To type `^M' in Emacs use the sequence `C-q C-m' and in vi use `C-v
C-m'.

Install this filter as the `if' filter by putting `:if=/usr/lib/lpf:' or
whatever) in your `/etc/printcap' entry for the printer.