three newbie questions (debian....)

Post by Andrew » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 02:35:18

hi,
i'm a relative newbie to linux, and there are three questions i would
like to ask.  the first two are about linux in general, and the third
is sort of specific to debian, the distro i'm using.

1)
is there a way from a shell / terminal to find out how much disk space
i've got left?

2)
how do i make another user a root user?  i'm not sure what to put in
the sudoer file.

3)
using linux-ftpd or whatever ftp daemon comes with debian, i want to
let root log in.  how do i do this?

any help in any of these areas would be greatly appreciated,
andrew

three newbie questions (debian....)

Post by Jacob Westenbac » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 02:51:11

Quote:> hi,
> i'm a relative newbie to linux, and there are three questions i would
> like to ask.  the first two are about linux in general, and the third
> is sort of specific to debian, the distro i'm using.

> 1)
> is there a way from a shell / terminal to find out how much disk space
> i've got left?

$ df -h

Quote:

> 2)
> how do i make another user a root user?  i'm not sure what to put in
> the sudoer file.

Sorry, no experience with sudo.

Quote:

> 3)
> using linux-ftpd or whatever ftp daemon comes with debian, i want to
> let root log in.  how do i do this?

DON'T DO IT.  I suggest you set up SSH, then use sftp instead.
Quote:

Post by Garry Knigh » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 03:33:37

> how do i make another user a root user?  i'm not sure what to put in
> the sudoer file.

Using sudo doesn't make another user a root user; it just temporarily gives
them root privileges. It may seem picky, but there is a difference.

Here's a sample /etc/sudoers (note the correct name) file that you can use
to get full root privileges with sudo and without having to input a
password each time:

root    ALL=(ALL) ALL
andrew   ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL

Note that you should change 'andrew' to your actual user name. Note also
that this is only secure if your box is secure (e.g. you run a firewall,
the box is a standalone workstation, other people don't have access to user
'andrew', and so on).

I recommend that you open a console and enter 'man sudo' and 'man sudoers'
for more information, especially the sections on logging.

--
Garry Knight

Linux registered user 182025

1. Three newbie questions :)

  Hello all.  As the subjects hints, I'm a Linux newbie.  I just
installed the bad boy over this past weekend.  Things went fairly
smoothly and I'm getting around ok so far (obviously very basic stuff).
But I have three problems I'm hoping you kind folks can help me out with
(we'll see how good the much-talked-about newsgroup support for Linux
is!)

(1) I have set up a win95/Linux dual boot (sorry, my wife still needs to
use 95!).  Problem is, LILO defaults to Linux.  Is there a way to get
the DOS partition that '95 is on to be the default OS that LILO loads?
I took a look at the LILO.CONF file in /etc but it doesn't appear to
have a bearing on default OS.

(2) I screwed up somewhere along the line when I installed X.  I set it
for SVGA and a generic monitor.  The monitor I have as well as the
onboard video of the motherboard is capable of 800x600 but when I run
STARTX I get some gibberish about no available X server or something to
that effect.  A friend showed me a while back a file that can be edited
to try different video modes, color depths, etc.  Is this what I need to
do?  If so, can someone point me in the right direction, or if there is
an easier way (XConfigurator, or am I thinking of the wrong thing?) that
would be better!

(3) During the installation my network card was not installed (said it
couldn't be detected).  It is an Intel EtherExpress Pro 10, which was
indeed listed in the option box.  Is there a way to install support for
it now and if so how?

  Thanks very much to everyone that helps me in any way!

Frank W. Zammetti
Programmer/Analyst
MagixSoft Consulting
http://www.magixsoft.com

2. Is this possible.

3. Three questions (or take it easy on the newbie).

4. QIC-80 Floppy based Tape support?

5. Three Stupid Newbie questions

6. Tough?...HTTP.CONF + IP

7. Newbie---I just installed Debian Linux on my PC and need questions answered.

8. KSH-How to abnormally terminate a script?

9. Installing Debian - Newbie Question

10. Newbie Sound Question (Debian)

11. Newbie Question about debian Linux Swap

12. recompiling debian (newbie question)

13. Linux Newbie - Debian, dselect & X question