TERM, NNTP and TRN problems

Post by Freddy A. Bala » Mon, 29 Aug 1994 03:53:22

I am trying to read news via a nntpserver using TERM and TRN.  When I run
TRN I get:

This machine does not have permission to use the MYHOSTNAME news server.

Unexpected close of server socket.

I realize that MYHOSTNAME might have to be listed somewhere, but I have
no idea where.  I have done a tredir 119 MYNNTPSERVERVIATERM:119.

-Fred
--

Freddy A. Balady, N2MTA               New Jersey Institute of Technology

TERM, NNTP and TRN problems

Post by Patrick Reijn » Mon, 29 Aug 1994 17:49:13

Quote:>I am trying to read news via a nntpserver using TERM and TRN.  When I run
>TRN I get:
>This machine does not have permission to use the MYHOSTNAME news server.
>Unexpected close of server socket.
>I realize that MYHOSTNAME might have to be listed somewhere, but I have
>no idea where.  I have done a tredir 119 MYNNTPSERVERVIATERM:119.

                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This should be: tredir 119 remote_nntp_server:119. Don't forget to execute this
as root as 119 on your linux machine is a reserved port. Furthermore make sure
the file /etc/nntpserver also contains the name of your remote nntp server
(without the port number). Works fine for me with tin.

>-Fred
>--
>Freddy A. Balady, N2MTA               New Jersey Institute of Technology

Patrick Reijnen

--
************************* Patrick Reijnen *************************
* Department of Computer Science, Catholic University of Nijmegen *

* WWW:    http://{atlas,zeus}.cs.kun.nl:4080/homepage.html        *

TERM, NNTP and TRN problems

Post by Jay Schliesk » Wed, 31 Aug 1994 15:29:21

> I am trying to read news via a nntpserver using TERM and TRN.  When I run
> TRN I get:

Do you have you NNTPSERVER variable listed as localhost?

Quote:

> This machine does not have permission to use the MYHOSTNAME news server.

> Unexpected close of server socket.

> I realize that MYHOSTNAME might have to be listed somewhere, but I have
> no idea where.  I have done a tredir 119 MYNNTPSERVERVIATERM:119.

I use rtin or Pine 3.90 (fresh from the UW mint. It's great,) but do a
"tredir 2119 my.nntp.server:119" and have the nntp line in /etc/services
listed as "nntp      2119/tcp" & the nntp line commented out in
/etc/inetd.conf. When i run rtin, it says "Connecting to localhost ...."
and starts reading the active news file, etc.

You could try the connection out by telnetting to localhost 2119 (not
with termtelnet) and should get a polite greeting saying its NNRP server is
ready, posting OK. Or you could try port 119 if you insist in using it,
but remember inetd has that port reserved. If you can connect using telnet
to port 119, and get a response from your.nntp.server, then that should
be ok too.

> -Fred
> --

> Freddy A. Balady, N2MTA               New Jersey Institute of Technology

  - Jay                      o
         Jay Schlieske     <#<         " Above all.... have fun. "
  +*+ Credits: smartmail __>^>__  by * Linux-Pine3.90-Smail-Term201-PoP +*+

1. TERM + TRN/NN + NNTP.... uhm, how?

        That's basically it.  I've gotten term to work with damned near
everything, from telnet and FTP to Mosaic.  My last two are the most
critical, however, and News, understandably, is first (it looks easier).
Does anyone have a working example of using trn-nntp or nn-nntp with
term?  Any tips or tricks?  I've made trn several times, with termnet and
without (term 2.0.4), and it refuses to work.  Any help?

                Elf !!!

2. Ip masquerading 2.3.x/(2.4.x)

3. nntp posting problem with trn

4. Need help withViewSonic PF775 in X

5. trn/Pnews problem - no NNTP ?????

6. HELP:SoundBlaster16PCI

7. problem using term+tredir+trn - unknown host

8. need help Compaq digital AlphaServer 1000 4/266

9. trn and nntp under Red Hat 4.2

10. cant post with trn/nntp inn missing?

11. How to connect trn to remote NNTP server

12. NNTP/TRN/CNEWS/POPPER Sol 2.3 Where?

13. setting up TRN-NNTP