Setting up X-Windows on a Cirrus Logic GD5428!

Setting up X-Windows on a Cirrus Logic GD5428!

Post by ab.. » Fri, 17 Feb 1995 08:04:36

I've tried for weeks now to get my 486DX-33 with 12 Megs of RAM to run
X-Windows but try as I might I cannot and it's really starting to peeve me
off. I've done everything I thought I'm supposed to do. Make sure thtt my
xconfig file links to the right binary (XF86_256). I even ran the automated
program
ConfigXF86 and still no luck. HELP!!!
I have a Cirrus Logic graphics card with 1MB of RAM. Its a GD5428 which
supports resolutions up to 1024 by 768 in 256 colours. Why can't I get it
to work.
All that happens is that the entire window goes dark and a mouse cursor appears
in the middle of my screen. I can move the mouse pointer around (GREAT) but
no X-Windows. i can't figure it.
Suggestions please..

Adam Best
---------

Post by Brad Dury » Fri, 17 Feb 1995 09:45:34

: I've tried for weeks now to get my 486DX-33 with 12 Megs of RAM to run
: X-Windows but try as I might I cannot and it's really starting to peeve me
: off. I've done everything I thought I'm supposed to do. Make sure thtt my
: xconfig file links to the right binary (XF86_256). I even ran the automated
: program
: ConfigXF86 and still no luck. HELP!!!
: I have a Cirrus Logic graphics card with 1MB of RAM. Its a GD5428 which
: supports resolutions up to 1024 by 768 in 256 colours. Why can't I get it
: to work.
: All that happens is that the entire window goes dark and a mouse cursor appears
: in the middle of my screen. I can move the mouse pointer around (GREAT) but
: no X-Windows. i can't figure it.
: Suggestions please..
:
: Adam Best
: ---------

First of all, you don't link the xconfig file to xf86_256, you link the
file 'X' in the /usr/X11/bin directory to XF86_256 (in the same directory).
Also, you need to run the script 'startx' to start X, not the the server
itself.  the startx script will launch a window manager (a fundamental
part of X workstations - without it, you have no convenient interface
with which to run programs).

Just for your info: fvwm is probably the nicest window manager out there.
If your startx script doesn't point to it, it should.  Also, if you
can get your hands on a desktop manager called 'GREAT', you should.
It's very good...

Have fun!

-Brad Duryea
 DMU Entertainment
 Houston, TX

1. Cirrus GD5428 X-Windows Config File

I'm looking for an X-Windows v3.2 configuration file for a 1 Meg Cirrus
Logic GD5428 card driving a NEC MultiSync 3D monitor. I realize this is
very specific, but an example of one that is close may be one I can
tailor. The v3.2 setup program does not give me all the video modes I
should get with the combination.

Please post any response, and hopefully an example, to this news
conference.

Regards;
Gary

2. Directory Access By IP Address Range On Apache

3. X-Windows w/ Cirrus Logic CL-GD5424 and NEC SVGA

4. ** Old Digital Research Operating Systems **

5. Cirrus Logic 5420 @ 800x60 in X-Windows

6. 2.6 syslogd weirdness

7. Problem with CIRRUS LOGIC 5434 and 16-bit color in X-windows!

8. Compiling C with math library

9. Cirrus Logic 5420 @ 800x60 in X-Windows

10. Cirrus logic 546X AGP Driver for X-Windows?

11. Compaq, Cirrus Logic 7543 and X-windows, a nightmare without end

12. HELP:: Cirrus Logic 7543 + X-Windows

13. CL-5446 Cirrus Logic 5446 for X-Windows