Linux 2.4-based systems won't boot on SiS-based motherboard

Linux 2.4-based systems won't boot on SiS-based motherboard

Post by Fred Goldste » Wed, 23 May 2001 11:45:06

I am stuck trying to install a newer Linux than Mandrake 7.2.  Both
Mandrake 8.0 and Red Hat 7.1 won't run on my iron.

The boot sequence (from the CDROM) gets this far (note these are cribbed
from somebody else's sequence so these are NOT the real values):

hda: [I have a Maxtor ATA DISK drive]
hdc: [Hitachi CDROM ]
hdd: [4x4x32  CD-RW]
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15

And then it stops. Cold.  Red button cold.

Now before that, it reads hda-hdd as all being "pio", so the UDMA is
apparently not up to snuff.  The hardware is a bit odd:

M-Tech R542 (Risecom) motherboard with SiS 5598 chipset (late 1997, updated
Risecom BIOS ca. late 1998)
64M RAM
Matrox Mystique
K6 188 MHz CPU
Maxtor 30G UDMA66 drive (hda)
Hitachi 4X CDROM (hdc)
Acer 4x4x32 CD-RW (hdd)

Google Groups mentions some random problems with SiS chipsets, but earlier
versions at least booted.  Mandrake 7.2 gives me some timeouts during boot
(again, disk related) but eventually runs.

I tweaked the BIOS but no settings I could think of made a difference.  Any
more ideas other than new hardware?  Thanks.
--
Fred R. Goldstein   k1io   fgoldstein"at" wn.net
These are my own opinions. You expect anyone else to agree?