No sgtty.h file in /usr/include

Post by Kevin Kyu-Sik Gi » Tue, 30 Nov 1993 04:27:20

Hi, netters,

Whenever I try to compile programs, I get frequent error message saying that
there is no 'sgtty.h' file in /usr/include. However, I found the file in
/usr/include/bsd, and I made a copy to /usr/include. After having all the
object files, at the end of compilation, I get a bunch of error messages.

Now, my question is, can I use the sgtty.h file in /usr/include/bsd whenever
I want to port a package not made for Linux? Or can someone provide me the
source code for sgtty.h that I can include in the /usr/include directory.

Your comments, and helps are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-- Kevin Gior

No sgtty.h file in /usr/include

Post by Pritchard Jason » Tue, 30 Nov 1993 04:36:55

I have a computer with the following configuration:
    Zeos 486/66
    16 megs memory
    Adaptec 6260 onboard scsi
    Quantum 1 gig SCSI Drive
    NEC SCSI CD-ROM

I tried to install linux but it doesn't recognize my scsi adaptor so it
says no hard drive present.

Is there any hope?

If you can help, please send email to

Thanks!

--Jason

No sgtty.h file in /usr/include

Post by Zeyd M. Ben-Hal » Tue, 30 Nov 1993 05:26:49

Quote:>Hi, netters,

>Whenever I try to compile programs, I get frequent error message saying that
>there is no 'sgtty.h' file in /usr/include. However, I found the file in
>/usr/include/bsd, and I made a copy to /usr/include. After having all the
>object files, at the end of compilation, I get a bunch of error messages.

Bad move, use -I/usr/include/bsd instead.
then add -lbsd to the link phase. Note that you'll still get gtty/stty
undefined. Try to see if the program has the option of usin termios instead.

Quote:>Now, my question is, can I use the sgtty.h file in /usr/include/bsd whenever

--
---

10479 1/4 Santa Monica Blvd, LA, CA, 90025 (310) 470-0281

Post by Przemek Klosows » Sat, 04 Dec 1993 22:56:30

       Zeos 486/66
       16 megs memory
       Adaptec 6260 onboard scsi
       Quantum 1 gig SCSI Drive
       NEC SCSI CD-ROM

   I tried to install linux but it doesn't recognize my scsi adaptor so it
   says no hard drive present.

I believe that 6260 is equivalent to AHA1510, and 1510 driver exists but
is in alpha test. You would have to compile it into the kernel by yourself.

I did not try it though. Did anyone?
--

                        Reactor Division (bldg. 235), E111
                        Gaithersburg, MD 20899,      USA

                        (301) 975 6249 tel
                        (301) 921 9847 fax

Post by Pritchard Jason » Sun, 05 Dec 1993 05:51:42

>       Zeos 486/66
>       16 megs memory
>       Adaptec 6260 onboard scsi
>       Quantum 1 gig SCSI Drive
>       NEC SCSI CD-ROM

>   I tried to install linux but it doesn't recognize my scsi adaptor so it
>   says no hard drive present.

>I believe that 6260 is equivalent to AHA1510, and 1510 driver exists but
>is in alpha test. You would have to compile it into the kernel by yourself.

>I did not try it though. Did anyone?

I've been meaning to post a follow-up on this.

To initially set up linux, I used the following boot diskette:
  tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/ALPHA/scsi/aha1522.a1.3.gz

I did the SLS setup. After the LILO prompt when booting from the
floppy, you need to hit 'ALT'; then

Boot: ramdisk aha152x=0x340,11,7,1

The rest of the sls setup went fine. Once I had root on my hard disk
in partition /dev/sda4, I booted from floppy as above but did:

Boot: harddisk root=/dev/sda4 aha152x=0x340,11,7,1

The next step was to recompile the kernel. There is now support for
the 6260 in linux pl14 so I downloaded the new kernel source and added
the following two lines to the file:
   /linux/drivers/scsi/aha152x.c

#define SKIP_BIOSTEST
#define IRQ 11

I then recompiled the kernel and created a new boot floppy. I have
not tried (as of yet) to boot linux from the hard disk.

--Jason

1. One more time: /usr/include/linux, /usr/include/asm

I just built a new glibc.  (Yes, I do that.)  Recalling that the
above-mentioned paths are (according to Linus and many others) not
supposed to be links to /usr/src/linux or any other kernel-kit-du-jour, I
resolved to be a good boy and get rid of those links.  For some reason I
expected that 'make install' for glibc would create directories there and
put into them whatever it wanted.  I recall that that was discussed....

No dice.  glibc 2.3.1 still installs headers into /usr/include/{VARIOUS}
which refer to /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm but does not supply
that to which they refer.  *sigh*  After rummaging through several long
threads in the archives, I still don't have an answer to the following:

1. What is supposed to be in /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm?
2. Where does the information come from?
3. Who is responsible for putting it there?

(Just to get my system back to a state in which I can compile userspace
stuff, I made the following assumptions:

1. Everything from linux/include/linux resp. linux/include/asm-$ARCH .
2. The kernel kit which supplied the headers used to build glibc.
3. The person building glibc.

IOW I just copied wholesale those two directories from the kernel kit
which I had nominated with configure --with-headers, to /usr/include.)

I note that the glibc 2.3.1 instructions *still* instruct the reader to
symlink these paths into "the 2.2 kernel sources".  (See "Specific advice
for GNU/Linux systems" in INSTALL.)  I'll happily submit a glibc bug
report, or documentation patches, or some such, just so long as someone
can give me answers which work both for the kernel and for the library.

--

MS Windows *is* user-friendly, but only for certain values of "user".

-

2. ipmasq and dial on demand, RedHat 6.0

3. Help - clashes between /usr/include and /usr/include/linux

4. anticipation is killing me

5. /usr/include/string.h and /usr/include/strings.h

6. Env Variables for crontab Job

7. /usr/include vs /usr/include/sys

8. How do I delete file name

9. Help - clashes between /usr/include and /usr/include/linux

10. include file error--/usr/include/linux

11. GCC-2.5.8 won't compile [/usr/include/limits.h:52: No include path...

12. UNIX include files = linux include files?

13. C /usr/include files