SWAP problem upgrading to 7.2

Post by Curtis Ca » Sun, 25 Nov 2001 05:23:59

Hi,
  I'm having a problem with my swap space.  I was upgrading my system
from RedHat 6.1 to 7.2 and during the upgrade process I was notified
that I should increase the size of my swap. I did so, but it put the
swap partition in "/".  During the installation, I received a message
that I didn't have enough space in my "/" directory. I exited the
install and tried to clean out my "/" directory of some files I was
sure I could move. I restarted the install and this time it didn't
mention the swap issue, but there still wasn't sufficient space to
complete the install ( "/" only).  Is there anyway to move this swap
space to another partition? Also, when I would re-boot under 6.1 the
swap space was still on a separate partition, but the install seems to
attempt to move it to the "/" partition.

Curtis Card

Post by Robert Heilin » Sun, 25 Nov 2001 10:16:42

> Hi,
>   I'm having a problem with my swap space.  I was upgrading my system
> from RedHat 6.1 to 7.2 and during the upgrade process I was notified
> that I should increase the size of my swap. I did so, but it put the
> swap partition in "/".

The worst place to put it. It should preferably have its own partition on
a HD that is on a different IDE channel. I use Partition Magic to set up
my partitions before install, but you can also use Disk Druid or Linux
fdisk.

Quote:> During the installation, I received a message
> that I didn't have enough space in my "/" directory. I exited the
> install and tried to clean out my "/" directory of some files I was
> sure I could move. I restarted the install and this time it didn't
> mention the swap issue, but there still wasn't sufficient space to
> complete the install ( "/" only).

You haven't mentioned how many HD's you have and their sizes so it's
difficult to comment.

Quote:> Is there anyway to move this swap
> space to another partition? Also, when I would re-boot under 6.1 the
> swap space was still on a separate partition, but the install seems to
> attempt to move it to the "/" partition.

You should be getting partitioning options during install.

Quote:> Curtis Card

Bob

1. Upgrade to RedHat 7.2 and SWAP

We plan to upgrade our servers from RedHat 6.2 to RedHat 7.2 and
kicked-around the issues/concerns of doing a complete re-image Vs.
upgrading.  For testing we had a development server running 6.2 and
did an UPGRADE, which went surprisingly smooth, except for how the
upgrade handled the current SWAP partitions.

For better performance I split SWAP across drives.  In this case
across 2 drives:

sda
/dev/sda1  /boot
/dev/sda2  SWAP
/dev/sda3  Mount point

sdb
/dev/sdb1  SWAP
/dev/sdb4  Mount point
/dev/sdb5  Mount point

The upgrade didn't consider the current SWAP partitions and created
one big SWAP file as /home/SWAP.  During the upgrade I tried
everything I knew to avoid creating this (/home/SWAP) file but was
forced to.   Now I have 3 SWAP areas, the 2 original (dev/sda2,
/dev/sdb1) and the one that the upgrade created (/home/SWAP).

Two questions:

1) Is there a way to avoid this when upgrading?
2) Is it OK if I delete the /home/SWAP file (what are the issues with
doing
   this)?

Thanks for any feedback!

2. XOFF lethargic??

3. problem with upgrade to gcc2.7.2 along with Linux 2.0.17 upgrade

4. xf86config problems with number nine 771

5. Upgrading from RH7.1 to RH 7.2 without upgrading Kernel

6. Kernel woes: Yes, I am a moron :)

7. command not found after RH 7.2 kernel upgrade via "Upgrade Agent"

8. I'm locked out via iptables

9. Win XP upgrade vs. RH 7.2 Upgrade

10. problem upgrading from Redhat 7.1 to 7.2

11. problems with add/remove scsi device after upgrading to 7.2

12. Problem when upgrading to RedHat 7.2 (installer doesn't find SCSI HD)

13. RH7.0 to 7.2 Upgrade: iptables problem