: /dev/dsp: write failed I/O failed... why??

: /dev/dsp: write failed I/O failed... why??

Post by Jeffrey Wiegl » Sat, 12 Mar 1994 07:50:54

I just recently bought a gravis ultrasound card (220, irq 5, dma 1) and I
recompiled the kernel with the sound driver 2.4 code.  I then created the
devices using soundinstall and reboot using the new kernel which should now
include sound support.

when I boot the kernel tells me it found the card and everything looks
good. if I do a cat /dev/sndstat  I get the proper stuff back telling me
about the card and configured.  (actual output included below for
reference)

so everything looks like it is up and running, however if I do:

cat laugh.au > /dev/audio

nothing comes out the speakers and further and more troubling if I do

cat endoftheworld > /dev/dsp

it waits a couple of secs and then says

cat: write error: I/O error

my question is why won't my sound card work?  what did I do wrong in
setting it up?

thanks for any help I would really appreciate it,

- Jeff Wiegley

here's the output from /dev/sndstat if it helps any

Config options: 1288

HW config:
Type 4: Gravis Ultrasound at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1

PCM devices:
0: Gravis UltraSound

Synth devices:
0: Gravis UltraSound

Midi devices:
0: Gravis UltraSound

Mixer(s) installed

1. /dev/dsp failing

Hi all,
I'm running Linux FT 2.0.27.

When I run xgal (and doom) I get the following:
xgal.sndsrv: Couldn't open DSP /dev/dsp
Broken pipe

Xgal does start and seems to sit there ok
in demo mode until I try to play it.

The device is there and I'm running as
root.

Whats going on?
Steve
--
"The floggings will continue until morale improves."

2. some problems after compiling kernel

3. doom-1.8 /dev/dsp failed

4. Undefined reference to _xstat

5. TSM: write to /dev/pts/2 failed.

6. Newbie Solaris Networking Question

7. Please HELP: Open /dev/ttyd0p6 successful but write failed

8. NCD xterminals

9. Kernel 2.1.x fails to compile... and fails... and fails...

10. tsm: 3004-035 TSM: write to /dev/xxx failed.

11. /dev/dsp, /dev/audio, /dev/midi., /dev/sndsta

12. [RAMDISK] swapon /dev/ram fails from rc.*, succeeds manually - why?

13. /dev/dsp non-blocking write