RPM 4.0.2

Post by G. Ferdin » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 01:14:10

Hi

I just upgraded my rpm-3.0.6 to the 4.0.2 version, or at least I tried,
now I am stuck with totally no access to the RPM database at all.
When I start YaST I get the following error:

Create new database file in /var/lib/rpm.new
/usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb: error while loading shared libraries: libbz.so.1:
error in converting the new database!
Deleting the new database.

I tried to yous YOU Yast online update to update the system, but it crashed
also because of the wrecked RPM things.
Is there anyway to do this manually, where can I get the new libbz.so.1 en
in which directory must it go? Or have I been really stupid
to install this RPM under a SuSE distro (just got it from rpm.org which said
it would be compatible with all Linux distros)
apreciate any help,

bye

Daniel

RPM 4.0.2

Post by Sean Russel » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 02:20:24

> Create new database file in /var/lib/rpm.new
> /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb: error while loading shared libraries: libbz.so.1:

Hm.  Are you sure this is correct?  RPM 4 has dependancies on libz and
libbz2 -- I've never heard of libbz.

Check for libz by running "locate libz.so"; if you don't have it, you can
get it from http://www.gzip.org/zlib/.  Check you have libbz2 with "locate
libbz2.so".  BZip2 lives at http://sources.redhat.com/bzip2/index.html.  If
you have both of them, make sure they're in the lib loadpath with "ldconfig
-v | egrep 'lib.?z2?.so'".  Lastly, you may, after you verify that these
libs are installed, have to run "rpm --rebuilddb".  I usually do that every
time I upgrade RPM, although it probably isn't neccessary.

--
--- SER

1. RPM for Uwin - cannot open file //var/lib/rpm/nameindex.rpm

Im trying to use the port of RPM for UWin. Unfortunatelly Im having
some problems to get it to work
properly.
   I installed the new version of Uwin (3.1) sucessfully. I also
downloaded RPM 4.0.3 from Wipro site and
installed it. I did the instalation from the root directory (/) using:

$ tar xvf rpm-4.0.3.tar
rpm-4.0.3.tar volume 1 in tar format
usr
usr/bin
usr/bin/rpm.exe
usr/bin/rpm2cpio.exe
usr/local
usr/local/lib
usr/local/lib/rpm
usr/local/lib/rpm/rpmrc
usr/man
usr/man/man8
usr/man/man8/rpm.8
usr/man/man8/rpm2cpio.8
12 files, 1365 blocks

   After that I created the directory  /var/lib/rpm .
   To create the rpm database I execute rpm --initdb . At this point
I get an error:

   $ rpm --initdb
   cannot open file //var/lib/rpm/nameindex.rpm: No such file or
directory

   At /var/lib/rpm was created the following file:

   $ pwd
   /var/lib/rpm
   $ ls
   packages.rpm

  The same message I get when I execute it using Administrator or su
.

  Thanks for any help,

      Gustavo

2. Solaris librairies

3. RPM corrupted, rpm --rebuilddb fails and there is data in the /var/lib/rpm directory

4. in do_mmap_pgoff() (2.4.19-preX)

5. RPM Crashes with "//var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm not found"

6. Tcsh 6.06 puts a caret '^' in front of 8 bit chars...

7. RPM: cannot open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

8. mh for Linux

9. How to restore erased rpm data (rpm -e rpm)

10. Fwd: rpm-4.2, rpm-4.1.1, rpm-4.0.5, librpm404-4.0.5 release (finally)

11. Problem with Gnome RPM - Failed to open /var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

12. Replacing RPM-placed files w/non-RPM files

13. Getting RPM to disallow unsigned RPMs