shutdown does not power off

Post by Shawn Mi » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 05:11:34

Subject line says it all.  In Slackware, as well as Mandrake, powering
off my machine with 'shutdown -h now' does not power off the machine.
It goes through the whole process, and at the last step, where it says
"power off" or "power down", it stays there until I use the power
button.

Where do I look for the info on how to fix this?  This happens on both
my desktop and my laptop.  With at least 5 other distros, these
machines power down correctly.

Thanks,
Shawn

shutdown does not power off

Post by nobodadd » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 09:15:52

> Subject line says it all.  In Slackware, as well as Mandrake, powering
> off my machine with 'shutdown -h now' does not power off the machine.
> It goes through the whole process, and at the last step, where it says
> "power off" or "power down", it stays there until I use the power
> button.

> Where do I look for the info on how to fix this?  This happens on both
> my desktop and my laptop.  With at least 5 other distros, these
> machines power down correctly.

> Thanks,
> Shawn

Possibly different shutdown commands?

$ whereis shutdown
$ which shutdown

I remember seeing something about this on some ng in the last month...

--
The other day a dog peed on me.  A bad sign.
- H.L. Mencken

shutdown does not power off

Post by Shawn Mi » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 21:12:51

> Possibly different shutdown commands?

> $ whereis shutdown
> $ which shutdown

> I remember seeing something about this on some ng in the last month...

Thanks for the reply -- I looked into it on my machine.

I don't think so.  There's only one 'shutdown' in my tree -- '/sbin/shutdown'.

There's probably some module related to power management or something like that.

Shawn

shutdown does not power off

Post by Shawn Mi » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 20:21:29

I figured it out on my own.  By default, it appears that some distros
do not enable APM at boot.  I did not know that APM or ACPI had
anything to do with powering off the machine, although it seems kind
of obvious now.  I've been looking into power management docs because
I am trying to figure out how to prolong battery life on my laptop.

Anyway, if I type "modprobe apm" at the command prompt, then shutdown
powers down the machine, also.  I thought I remembered something about
a file called "modules.autoload" in the /etc directory.  I didn't find
it in Slackware, but I did find /etc/rc.d/rc.modules, which proved to
be what I was looking for.  This is where I can add modules which
should load at boot.  Useful stuff for enabling network cards and
sound card and the like.  I guess modules.autoload was someting on
Gentoo.  Anyway, there it was:  a commented-out line '# /sbin/modprobe
apm'.  I just un-commented it (removed the #, for newer folk), and
viola!  By the way, it is likely that the module you're looking for
will not be in this file.  Just type it in.  It just turns out that
apm is a very common module which people enable.

Thought I'd document it a little here, in case someone else finds it
useful.

Shawn

1. RH 7.2 Power Management, power-off on shutdown?

Hi,

I  am using  an SMP  machine  (Tyan 1836  dual uprocessors).  Previous
versions of  RH allowed me  to power-off the machine  during shutdown,
but  I  am  not  able  to  shutoff the  power  using  RH  7.2.   Tried
recompiling the kernel,  etc.  Has anyone gotten power-off  to work on
an SMP?  I would love some suggestions.

Thanks,

marc

--

2. gzip for solaris 2.3

3. shutdown does not turn power off to the machine?

4. Thanks to all those who replied But..............

5. SuSE Linux 7.3 will not power off at shutdown

6. SP2/HACMP host name problem

7. Shutdown with additional power shutdown, why does it not work?

8. viewing xml files in konqueror

9. v2.4.1-v2.4.3pre2 doesnt power off by halt or shutdown -h

10. Auto power off on shutdown?

11. How can I use power off on shutdown with my DFI K6-XV3+ - mainboard?

12. Shutdown won't Power-off using SuSE-6.1

13. No power off at shutdown