NFS installation woes

Post by Jim McCaul » Thu, 15 Dec 1994 04:25:37

Please help me understand why I cannot get NFS installation to work!
I had previously installed Linux 1.0.9 on the target Intel box
(painfully, with floppoes), then removed all packages with `pkgtool'.

I want to update to a Slackware distribution dated 16 November 1994,
which I have stored in /extra1/linux/disks (one directory per disk) on
an HP-UX server on the same Ethernet (no gateway) as my target Intel
box.  The target is equipped with 16MB RAM and a 3Com 3C503-16
Etherlink II/16 NIC.  The /extra1 file system on the HP-UX server is
NFS-exported and mountable by other systems.

I boot the Intel target with the `net' boot disk, entering nothing in
the way of additional parameters.  In the course of the boot, I get
these messages:

   eth0: 3c505 not found
   eth0: D-Link D-600 pocket adapter: not at I/O 0x378

The Linux version is reported to be 1.1.59.  Partition checks show the
same partitions I had under 1.0.9, as expected.

I continue with the `color144' disk and run `setup'.  Since the swap
partitions are all ready, I don't run `mkswap'; I just activate them
with `swapon'.  I specify the target disks (I have two), mounting the
300MB unit to / and the 150MB unit to /home, both as ext2 filesystems.

At the SOURCE menu, I choose "Install via NFS."  The warning screen
puzzles me: it says that I must set up an /etc/networks file on the
bootdisk.  In my case, this would be the `net' bootdisk -- I didn't
think that it even had a filesystem!  In any case, how can I access
that disk?  I have only one 3.5" floppy drive, and I can't unmount the
rootdisk.  How do I set up /etc/networks, and what is its proper
content?  On my HP-UX system, /etc/networks has just two entries:

   loopback         127
   arpanet          10              arpa

Should I have something like this on the `color144' rootdisk?

As for the other two warnings, I have the server filesystem exported,
and I have mounted it on other systems (running HP-UX) to confirm its
accessibility.  The final warning says that I must start the
portmapper, and I don't have a clue as to how to do that.

Nonetheless, I proceed, supplying valid data for the following:

   Internet address for the target
   Netmask
   (no gateway)
   Internet address for the HP-UX server
   Slackware source directory

The system switches to text mode and reports:

   Configuring ethernet card...
   Mounting NFS...

Then nothing happens for about a minute.  Finally, I get this error
message:

   mount clntupd_create: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: timed out

So apparently the port mapper either is not started or the
configuration is awry in some way.  The `mount' report shows no NFS
mount.

I quit `setup' and run `ifconfig' with no arguments.  It reports:

   lo        Link encap Local Loopback
             inet addr 127.0.0.1  Bcast 125.255.255.255  Mask 255.0.0.0
             UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU 2000  Metric 1
             RX packets 0 errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0
             TX packets 0 errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0

   eth0      Link encap 10Mbps Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
             inet addr 15.13.20.16  Bcast 15.13.215.255  Mask 255.255.248.0
             UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU 1500  Metric 1
             RX packets 0 errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0
             TX packets 6 errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0

The hardware address for the NIC looks peculiar, but the TX packets
line indicates that it was activated and logged errors.

In desperation, I try `cat > /etc/networks' and enter the same two
entries that are in the same file on the server, explicitly execute
`portmap', and run `setup' again.  Same results.

Please!  What am I missing?  What am I doing wrong?

Jim McCauley, Learning Products Engineer    **   I do not speak for   **
(that means that I write documentation)     ** Hewlett-Packard in any **

1. CD-RW mounting woes in Mandrake 7.0 woe oh woe oh woe!

I hate to ask the often answered, but I have a TDK VeloCD CD-RW in my PII
233 machine installed as a master on the secondary IDE. I'm running
Mandrake-linux 7.0, and of course I get the bad link problem. I have run the
fix suggested on Mandrake's Web-page, but I can't figure a way to make the
fix either permenant or automatic. The fix (in case you haven't seen it is
to run "cdrecord -scanbus" to check for the presence of a working CD-RW,
then to type "cd /dev && rm cdrom && ln -s scd0 cdrom" in a terminal) This
fix works but there's got to be a better way...any thoughts.

2. As Linux Dies a Slow Death.....Who's next?

3. NFS packet dump? NFS/Share on Mac woes.

4. fonts and keyboard

5. XF86 Config set-up woes & woes & woes

6. Ethernet Controller

7. NFS Mounting woes (grrrrr.)

8. Loadlin stopped working... help

9. NFS woes

10. NFS woes . . .

11. NFS woes: tcsh's internal ls fails on Solaris 2.6 client / IRIX 6.x server

12. NFS woes . . .