debian md5sum problem with ncurses-base

Post by Mike Evr » Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:33:53

Hi All,

I am using debian stable, and after a doing a dist-upgrade, I got some
md5 errors.  Now, new packages are no longer install correctly by
apt-get (dpkg works fine, though).  I'm pretty sure the problem is
with the ncurses-base package.  Here is what I get:

# dpkg --configure ncurses-base
Setting up ncurses-base (5.0-6.0potato1) ...
dpkg: error processing ncurses-base (--configure):
 md5sum gave malformatted output `6b60f35a7fb6122a53b1e74e56cba56e'
 ncurses-base

I am quite clueless about dpkg and apt-get, and can't seem to find any
good info on them (plus, since ncurses isn't configured, man doesn't
work).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike.

debian md5sum problem with ncurses-base

Post by Lefu » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 22:05:17

I had the same error a few day before. The solution was: The system
was hacked and the md5sum program was replaced by a compromised
version. Look at uid and gid of md5sum... Use chkrootkit
(www.chkrootkit.org) for checking your version...

Good luck,
Andreas

Post by Mike Evr » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 10:39:22

> I had the same error a few day before. The solution was: The system
> was hacked and the md5sum program was replaced by a compromised
> version. Look at uid and gid of md5sum... Use chkrootkit
> (www.chkrootkit.org) for checking your version...

Thanks for the try, but chkrootkit found nothing.  I suspected this
would be the case, since the machine in question is behind a NAT
router, which blocks everything but outgoing HTML and POP, and since
no services except sshd are enabled on the machine anyway.

However, I do suspect that the MD5 program is to blame because, out of
desperation, I ran debsums, and it gave me:

md5sum: invalid option -- v
Try `md5sum --help' for more information.

I'm not really familiar with the md5sum program, or the debsub
program, but given the behavior of apt-get, I have to believe
something's wrong with md5sum.

My initial impulse was to try reinstalling md5sum, but I can't figure
out what package it's part of, because, for the life of me I can't
figure out the dpkg/apt-get version of rpm -qf.  Can anyone tell me
which package md5sum belongs to, or what the dpkg/apt equivalent of
rpm -qf is?

Thanks much,

Mike.

debian md5sum problem with ncurses-base

Post by Lefu » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 03:43:20

Its part of the dpkg package. You can find this information on

        http://www.debian.de/distrib/packages

by typing md5sum in the second input field on this page ("Search the
contents of packages").

By the way our system is installed behind a firewall. The CERT thinks,
that the hacker uses the CRC32 bug in sshd... However, look for a
reason why your md5sum is buggy and then, make a backup of your
md5sum, and finally install a new one:

        apt-get install --reinstall dpkg.

If you like it, try

        type -a md5sum   --> md5sum is /usr/bin/md5sum

        md5sum /usr/bin/md5sum   --->
                6f8a1b6e63dfd20b4aa5ed66f2dd7e23 /usr/bin/md5sum

before and after reinstallation.

Lefuet

Post by Mike Evr » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:29:01

> Its part of the dpkg package. You can find this information on

>  http://www.debian.de/distrib/packages

> by typing md5sum in the second input field on this page ("Search the
> contents of packages").

> By the way our system is installed behind a firewall. The CERT thinks,
> that the hacker uses the CRC32 bug in sshd... However, look for a
> reason why your md5sum is buggy and then, make a backup of your
> md5sum, and finally install a new one:

>  apt-get install --reinstall dpkg.

> If you like it, try

>  type -a md5sum   --> md5sum is /usr/bin/md5sum

>  md5sum /usr/bin/md5sum   --->
>   6f8a1b6e63dfd20b4aa5ed66f2dd7e23 /usr/bin/md5sum

> before and after reinstallation.

Thank you so much!  It didn't quite work the way you said.  I had to
d/l the dpkg package and install it using dpkg (apt-get complained and
did nothing).  Now everything works, just in time for me to update
zlib :-).  BTW, was there any way for me to know that md5sum was part
of dpkg?  I did search packages.debian.org for "md5sum" and came up
with 3 packages, all of which used it, but none of which contained it.

Thanks much,

Mike.

debian md5sum problem with ncurses-base

Post by Lefu » Thu, 21 Mar 2002 06:29:02

Quote:> > Its part of the dpkg package. You can find this information on

> >  http://www.debian.de/distrib/packages

> > by typing md5sum in the second input field on this page ("Search the
> > contents of packages").
> BTW, was there any way for me to know that md5sum was part
> of dpkg?  I did search packages.debian.org for "md5sum" and came up
> with 3 packages, all of which used it, but none of which contained it.

Yes it was. Read my message again (-: Simply type an arbitrary file
name into the second input field of the above mentioned www page and a
few second laters you get your result...

I use this service of debian quite often to find utilities. Thanks to
DEBIAN!

Andreas

1. Debian & apt-get & libc6 & ERROR - MD5Sum ... eh?!?

I'm trying to upgrade my desktop box from 2.0 to 2.1r4.  My
/etc/apt/sources.list:

   deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
   deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US
   deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian dists/proposed-updates/

I did "apt-get update" then "apt-get upgrade, and after a long night
of downloading I'm left with:

Get http://http.us.debian.org stable/non-free xautolock [23.6k]
Fetched 56.8M in 7h19m17s (2156 b/s)
ERROR http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/  \
        binary-i386/base/libc6_2.0.7.19991211-6.deb
Incorrect MD5Sum

So, what's the next step from here?  Manually apt-get libc6?

I've also quite a few packages held back (lyx slsc python-misc
mh gs xlib6 ...).  Do I also just start manually apt-get-ting them as
well, or do I need to back up and fix something first?

Feel free to point me at apt related howtos, etc.  Thanks.

  ** to reply, you'll have to remove the NO SPAM from my address,
     btw. **

--

                            TopQuark Software & Serv. Enquire within.

2. unknown ethernet card

3. Debian md5sum failure

4. Cng-all Nothing is better for relieving pain - T3 w/codeine

5. Socket-based ncurses/termcap/terminfo?

6. Changing MAC address of 3COM cards

7. Text based(ncurses?) system information display

8. Really slow IDE read speeds

9. ncurses-based programs look like S**T

10. Looking for ncurses-based menu/forms library/application

11. Ncurses-1.9.9e, Slack-3.1, RedHat-3.0.3, Debian-1.1

12. Problem: CDRW md5sum inconsistencies

13. Having problems with md5sum and RH8 .iso files