Login incorrect during ftp

Post by Ben » Sat, 23 Jul 1994 01:24:54

I am running Linux 1.1.0 on my 486 DX2/66 with an Allied 1700 ethernet
card.  I can telnet out/in from/to another host.  I can even ftp to
another host but when I try to ftp from another host to my machine, I
can't get past the login procedure.  I supplied the correct id/password
which would work in a telnet session but not for the ftp session.
I keep getting 530 Login incorrect when I know the id/password pair is
correct.  Any ideas?

Thanks!
Benjamin Yu

Login incorrect during ftp

Post by Mitchum DSou » Sat, 23 Jul 1994 02:56:14

writes:
|> I am running Linux 1.1.0 on my 486 DX2/66 with an Allied 1700 ethernet
|> card.  I can telnet out/in from/to another host.  I can even ftp to
|> another host but when I try to ftp from another host to my machine, I
|> can't get past the login procedure.  I supplied the correct id/password
|> which would work in a telnet session but not for the ftp session.
|> I keep getting 530 Login incorrect when I know the id/password pair is
|> correct.  Any ideas?

Probably because you are using shadow passwords and your ftp deamon is a
non-shadow version.

Check to see if the second field in /etc/passwd is a `*' character, and then if
so you need a ftpd-shadow from your favorite linux archive site.

Mitch

Login incorrect during ftp

Post by Mark P. Nels » Sat, 23 Jul 1994 03:00:28

: I am running Linux 1.1.0 on my 486 DX2/66 with an Allied 1700 ethernet
: card.  I can telnet out/in from/to another host.  I can even ftp to
: another host but when I try to ftp from another host to my machine, I
: can't get past the login procedure.  I supplied the correct id/password
: which would work in a telnet session but not for the ftp session.
: I keep getting 530 Login incorrect when I know the id/password pair is
: correct.  Any ideas?

First two things to check:

 Is your login shell, as specified in your entry in /etc/passwd, correctly
 listed in /etc/shells?

 Are enough incoming connections (minimum 2) permitted in /etc/ftpaccess?

Be sure to check through the man pages for ftpd for clues, too.
--

                         While I'll admit that anyone can make a mistake once,
                         to go on making the same lethal errors century after

1. ftp login 530 Login incorrect?

I have installed wu-ftp on Sunos. Only thing i need is to configure
ftp server to restrict access for users to parent directories(system).
Just access in own home directory

I have started ftpd -a option to read ftpaccess file. And created
user:

test:x:105:911::/home/test/./:/bin/ftponly

group file:

ftpusers::911:

also have created directory structure for ftp home dir:
./lib
./.sh_history
./bin/ls
./bin
./etc/passwd
./etc/group
./etc
./usr/lib/ld.so
./usr/lib/ld.so.1
./usr/lib/libc.so.1
./usr/lib/libdl.so.1
./usr/lib/libintl.so
./usr/lib/libintl.so.1
./usr/lib/libw.so.1
./usr/lib
./usr
./dev/tcp
./dev/zero
./dev

in /etc/ftpaccess :
class   local   guest
guestgroup ftpusers

when you trying to ftp like #ftp localhost   -- you got.
-----sdf
Name (localhost:test): test
331 Password required for test.
Password:
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.

Can anyone help me. Why this happens?????

2. Which driver for the ncr53c95 SCSI adapter?

3. Incorrect packet ACK during FTP transfers

4. Scanner recommendations

5. NET-2: FTP login incorrect ?!

6. Network backup image of ext3

7. Verizon FTP stopped working recently 530 login incorrect Help!

9. 'login incorrect' message when trying to ftp to SCO-UNIX box

10. FTP : Login always incorrect

11. 'login incorrect' message when trying to ftp to a SCO UNIX box

12. FTP login incorrect: solution

13. FTP: Login incorrect