Problems with ISA video card and P5-90

Post by Michael Heasl » Wed, 10 Aug 1994 11:43:12

I just got my P5-90 from Gateway 2000 on Friday, and for the most part, I am
EXTREMELY pleased with its performance.  Everything works perfectly except
for the video card.  I got the machine without a video card, thinking I would
use my old Trident 8900C ISA card until I can scrounge up enough $$ to get a
good PCI card.  The card works fine most of the time, including several 256c
modes in dos and windows.  But I have noticed 2 problems that I believe are
related to the fact that it is ISA instead of PCI:

1.  In dos programs that use 16 colors, but a non-standard palette, it still
uses the standard palette, thus giving weird colors that weren't intended.

2.  All kinds of problems in linux:  X thinks it's working but only gives a
blank screen and leaves the screen in that mode when I kill X, svgalib
programs leave the screen in graphics mode when they exit, dosemu only
boots in black and white graphics and leaves the screen in that mode when done.
This was with kernel 1.1.29, Slackware 2.0.

I've used the same card in my old 386 with none of the above problems, running
exactly the same software.  I tried 2 other ISA video cards and they produced
exactly the same results.  Tweaking a few CMOS settings also didn't help.

Any ideas?  It looks like I may go ahead and order a PCI card sooner than
expected, but it sure would be nice to solve this problem in the interim.
Thanks a bunch for any and all suggestions.

        Mike

P.S.  Linux fans--if you're interested in how the installation went, check out
my other post in alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 and comp.os.linux.misc.

Post by Edward Beding » Fri, 12 Aug 1994 03:13:22

>I just got my P5-90 from Gateway 2000 on Friday, and for the most part, I am
>EXTREMELY pleased with its performance.  Everything works perfectly except
>for the video card.  I got the machine without a video card, thinking I would
>use my old Trident 8900C ISA card until I can scrounge up enough $$ to get a
>good PCI card.  The card works fine most of the time, including several 256c

<snip>

Quote:>2.  All kinds of problems in linux:  X thinks it's working but only gives a

<snip>

Quote:>Any ideas?

You might want to try the MakeFile (i think that is what it is called)
utility that Slackware 2.0 distributes.  It is buried somewhere deep in
the X directories, near the COnfigXF86 stuff.  Use it to create a
file of your video card, including all of the modes, clocks, etc. It
worked really nicely for my ATI AXO, and may do it for your Trident
too.  I did not have pallette problems, not sure I would know it
if I did, but it seems to me that it knew all of the specs for my
card and made configuration a breeze.R

You need to be sure not to give ConfigXF86 any modes that your
monitor doesn't support

Ned Bedinger