booting with LILO

Post by fred smi » Tue, 28 Feb 1995 16:15:37

I'm moving from Coherent to Linux, and am currently booting my Linux
partititon from floppy. I haven't installed LILO yet because I cannot
find out if LILO can be used to boot the Coherent partition. Is there
someone out there who knows for sure if Lilo will boot coherent?

Thanks!

Fred
"The locus of computing has clearly moved from  | Fred Smith        BIX: fredex

 painting of icons and the tracking of mouse    |          Home: 617-438-5471
 balls." Stan Kelly-Bootle, Unix Review, Feb '95|          Office: 508-663-2524

booting with LILO

Post by Thomas Pantz » Sat, 11 Mar 1995 21:53:52

>I'm moving from Coherent to Linux, and am currently booting my Linux
>partititon from floppy. I haven't installed LILO yet because I cannot
>find out if LILO can be used to boot the Coherent partition. Is there
>someone out there who knows for sure if Lilo will boot coherent?
>Fred

I guess that the MWC-bootloader can boot the LILO as a second-
level loader.

and worked on this problem. There were also several articles in
Comp.os.coherent about this.

Thomas Pantzer.

1. Cannot boot using LILO from Linux boot disk.

I have a 486 80mhz DX2 (CYRIX) machine with 20 mb memory and two IDE
drives - C: is a 420 mb formated NTFS, D: is a 1280 mb drive with the
last 1030 mb is NTFS, the first 250 is free and I was planning to install
Linux 2.1 there (yes I am using Windows NT 3.51 Workstation).

What is happening is that once I get to the boot: prompt and I enter
"mount root=/dev/hdb1" I get:

 uncompressing Linux...

 CRC Error -or- invalid compressed format
 -- System Halted

Any ideas?

2. Solaris 2.6

3. 10101010101010101 when booting with LILO & boot floppies

4. Hooking up another computer

5. Boot the 3rd HD from Boot Manager/LILO

6. socket permissions?

7. 10101010101010101 when booting with LILO & boot floppies

8. wav to MP3

9. Win NT boot and Lilo boot

10. Win2k and RedHat 7.2 on different hard-drive dual-boot with LILO??

11. Can't dual boot with LILO

12. Booting using lilo and system commander

13. Dual boot - NO LILO here!!