USR 14.4k fax/modem

Post by Eric L. Mulk » Sat, 21 May 1994 00:17:13

I just purchased a USR 14.4k Speedster fax/modem.  I am having trouble getting seyon to work with it.  I can get seyon to find the modem and dial a number.  I hear a phone ringing, it is answered by the "screech" of another modem, but then seyon just sits there and continues to count.  After ~40 seconds it "sleeps" for 10 seconds and then dials again.  It seems that no connection can be made.

Does anyone have an idea what may be wrong?

Eric Mulkay

USR 14.4k fax/modem

Post by Christopher L Franc » Sat, 21 May 1994 12:58:29

Quote:

>I just purchased a USR 14.4k Speedster fax/modem.  I am having trouble getting seyon to work with it.  I can get seyon to find the modem and dial a number.  I hear a phone ringing, it is answered by the "screech" of another modem, but then seyon just sit

s there and continues to count.  After ~40 seconds it "sleeps" for 10 seconds and then dials again.  It seems that no connection can be made.
Quote:

>Does anyone have an idea what may be wrong?

Make sure you're not running on a nonstandard IRQ.  If the IRQ you're using
is *NOT* 4 for comm 1 or 3 (/dev/cua0, /dev/cua2) or 3 for comm 2 or 4
(dev/cua1, /dev/cua3) you need to use setserial to define the IRQ.
Otherwise, Linux doesn't "see" the input coming from the modem.

If you've done this, just ignore me :)

(BTW, my Sportser 14.4 has been a champ)
Chris

1. external USR Sporster 14.4k fax/modem

Anyone have good documentation on this modem?  I can't find anything
regarding the S registers (although I found some for newer models,
but they don't appear to have the same registers).

I'm asking this because I'm having a real tough time getting connected
via PAP, and even though I played with the lcp-* and pap-* settings
of pppd, the end result is the same:  it hangs up after so many
LCP ConfReq are sent (the number depends on what those lcp-* and pap-*
variables are set to).  That's why I'm thinking this may be
hardware-related.

The machine I'm trying to get authenticated by is an Ascend router,
and after reading an FAQ about them, I found out that it's a good idea
to set S7 to a high value (it's set to 120 right now), but I have no
info on the other registers.

2. botched routing table? help

3. efax+US.Robutistic Sporter 14.4K data/fax modem

4. EQL? Also known as load balancing

5. UUCP Configuration(USR 14.4k)-HELP!!!

6. Solaris/NT/DOS connectivity sw?

7. Improve term response w/ 14.4K USR?

8. question about Apache

9. Need uucp Dialers info - USR Sportster 14.4k

10. USR Sportster 14.4k Internal

11. 2.4 -> 14.4k modem migration problems

12. 14.4k Modem under DOSEMU

13. Using 14.4k modems via minicom