1. Yggdrasil Fall 94 Plug 'n' Play doesn't want to play.
I'm not able to boot and install the Fall 1994 Yggdrasil Linux CD-ROM
on my system. When I boot from the supplied floppy, LILO seems to load
the kernel OK, recognize my hardware devices properly during probing
and calculate my BogoMIPS for me, but the kernel crashes after trying
to mount filesystems. I've checked cabling, I/O address and IRQ
conflicts, tried removing unnecessary boards, made sure all of the
devices were configured as the manual suggested, etc., but nothing
helped. I'm pretty sure that everything I have is supposed to be
supported by the Yggdrasil kernel. Everything works OK under DOS, for
whatever that's worth.
From the error messages, it looks to me like the kernel isn't happy
about the block size on some device (the CD-ROM?), so it can't mount
the filesystem on the CD-ROM.
I booted Slackware Linux from a boot disk and root disk I borrowed
from a friend, and successfully partitioned my hard disk. His kernel
didn't have support for my CD-ROM compiled in, though, so I couldn't
get any further.
I've installed/maintained/used SunOS systems for years, but I'm new to
Linux, and I'm fresh out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated!
Here are the gory details:
My system configuration is:
Intel Premiere II 90 MHz Pentium PCI motherboard with
PCI EIDE, second IDE, 2 serial ports, par port and
floppy i/f on board
ATI mach32 video
Sound Blaster 16 with CD-ROM interface and Sony CDU-33A drive
3Com 3C509 ethernet board
1G EIDE hard disk
I typed "linux hd=2100,16,63" at the "boot:" prompt.
The part of the boot-time messages that seemed relevant to me said:
[stuff before here deleted]
hda: WDC AC31000H, 1033MB w/128KB Cache, CHS=2100/16/63, MaxMult=16
RAMDISK: 104960 bytes, starting at 0x248b48
VFS: Disk change detected on device 15/0
ll_rw_block: only 2048-char blocks implemented (1024)
MINIX-fs: unable to read superblock
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
current->tss.cr3 - 0001d000, %cr3 = 0001d000
*pde = 00102027
*pte = 00000027
[stack and register frame info deleted]
Thanks in advance for any advice....
Mark J. Blair KE6MYK
Silicon Systems, Inc.
2. WU-FTP-2.1.6 problems (redhat 7)
3. yggdrasil Plug 'N Play LILO problem, Pls Help
4. Does this Kernel Message spell impending failure!?!
5. YGGDRASIL Summer 94 - Plug 'n Play my BUTT!
6. The Key To Organizing Your Health Records
7. note: DON'T use Yggdrasil Plug and Play distribution
8. Hostname resolution order in AIX 4.X
9. Wanted: Yggdrasil Plug-n-Play boot/install floppy images (for NFS,aand/or Internet installation)
10. Yggdrasil's Plug n Play Fall 1995
11. Diamond Stealth 24VLB & Yggdrasil Plug & Play Fall '94: help me run X!
12. Problems installing Plug and Play Linux Yggdrasil fall 95 edition
13. yggdrasil Plug 'N Play Linux problem, Help!