Yggdrasil's Plug-and Play Install

Post by Chris R. Rowla » Tue, 07 Mar 1995 21:21:15

While installing the CD-ROM Linux I get the following errors at the point
where the actual software is being transferred from the CD-ROM to the
hard drive:

scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid4742, scsi0, id3, lun 0, 0x08.....
scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid34, scsi0, id1, lun 0, 0x08.....
(these repeat several times, then...)
scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid4887, scsi0, id0, lun 0, 0x0a.....
Kernal panic: ultrastor_queuecommand: no free MSCP
In swapper task - not syncing

Any help that can be offered will be appreciated.

LINUX Neophyte

Yggdrasil's Plug-and Play Install

Post by Wade Maxfie » Thu, 09 Mar 1995 01:09:10

Hi,
    The problem may be that your scsi card is interrupt driven.  If it
is, try disabling interrupts, and see if the system settles down.  If
the driver for the card is smart enough, it will go into polling mode.

wade

Yggdrasil's Plug-and Play Install

Post by David C » Thu, 09 Mar 1995 11:42:15

Quote:

>While installing the CD-ROM Linux I get the following errors at the
point
>where the actual software is being transferred from the CD-ROM to the
>hard drive:

>scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid4742, scsi0, id3, lun 0,
0x08.....
>scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid34, scsi0, id1, lun 0,
0x08.....
>(these repeat several times, then...)

Could someone please tell me where I can get Perl shell?  Thanks.

Yggdrasil's Plug-and Play Install

Post by Ari Shapi » Thu, 09 Mar 1995 09:46:43

Quote:>While installing the CD-ROM Linux I get the following errors at the point
>where the actual software is being transferred from the CD-ROM to the
>hard drive:
>scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid4742, scsi0, id3, lun 0, 0x08.....
>scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid34, scsi0, id1, lun 0, 0x08.....
>(these repeat several times, then...)
>scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid4887, scsi0, id0, lun 0, 0x0a.....
>Kernal panic: ultrastor_queuecommand: no free MSCP
>In swapper task - not syncing
>Any help that can be offered will be appreciated.
>LINUX Neophyte

Check to see if the adapter that you have needs a special boot argument.
I have a Trantor T128 scsi adapter that gives me the same response unless I
add T128=0xCC000,0 to the boot: prompt.

1. Yggdrasil Fall 94 Plug 'n' Play doesn't want to play.

I'm not able to boot and install the Fall 1994 Yggdrasil Linux CD-ROM
on my system. When I boot from the supplied floppy, LILO seems to load
the kernel OK, recognize my hardware devices properly during probing
and calculate my BogoMIPS for me, but the kernel crashes after trying
to mount filesystems. I've checked cabling, I/O address and IRQ
conflicts, tried removing unnecessary boards, made sure all of the
devices were configured as the manual suggested, etc., but nothing
helped. I'm pretty sure that everything I have is supposed to be
supported by the Yggdrasil kernel. Everything works OK under DOS, for
whatever that's worth.

From the error messages, it looks to me like the kernel isn't happy
about the block size on some device (the CD-ROM?), so it can't mount
the filesystem on the CD-ROM.

I booted Slackware Linux from a boot disk and root disk I borrowed
from a friend, and successfully partitioned my hard disk. His kernel
didn't have support for my CD-ROM compiled in, though, so I couldn't
get any further.

I've installed/maintained/used SunOS systems for years, but I'm new to
Linux, and I'm fresh out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated!

-------------

Here are the gory details:

My system configuration is:
        Intel Premiere II 90 MHz Pentium PCI motherboard with
                PCI EIDE, second IDE, 2 serial ports, par port and
                floppy i/f on board
        ATI mach32 video
        Sound Blaster 16 with CD-ROM interface and Sony CDU-33A drive
        3Com 3C509 ethernet board
        1G EIDE hard disk
        16M RAM

I typed "linux hd=2100,16,63" at the "boot:" prompt.

The part of the boot-time messages that seemed relevant to me said:

[stuff before here deleted]

Partition check:
  hda: WDC AC31000H, 1033MB w/128KB Cache, CHS=2100/16/63, MaxMult=16
  hda: hda1
RAMDISK: 104960 bytes, starting at 0x248b48
VFS: Disk change detected on device 15/0
ll_rw_block: only 2048-char blocks implemented (1024)
MINIX-fs: unable to read superblock
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
c0000000
current->tss.cr3 - 0001d000, %cr3 = 0001d000
*pde = 00102027
*pte = 00000027
Oops: 0000
[stack and register frame info deleted]

Thanks in advance for any advice....

--
Mark J. Blair   KE6MYK
Design Engineer

2. WU-FTP-2.1.6 problems (redhat 7)

3. yggdrasil Plug 'N Play LILO problem, Pls Help

4. Does this Kernel Message spell impending failure!?!

5. YGGDRASIL Summer 94 - Plug 'n Play my BUTT!

6. The Key To Organizing Your Health Records

7. note: DON'T use Yggdrasil Plug and Play distribution

8. Hostname resolution order in AIX 4.X

9. Wanted: Yggdrasil Plug-n-Play boot/install floppy images (for NFS,aand/or Internet installation)

10. Yggdrasil's Plug n Play Fall 1995

11. Diamond Stealth 24VLB & Yggdrasil Plug & Play Fall '94: help me run X!

12. Problems installing Plug and Play Linux Yggdrasil fall 95 edition

13. yggdrasil Plug 'N Play Linux problem, Help!