Problem establishing telnet session into Linux system (Mandrake 7.2)

Problem establishing telnet session into Linux system (Mandrake 7.2)

Post by Edward Fretwel » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:40:34

Hi,

As a bit of a GNU/Linux newcomer I'm hoping someone can help me out with
this or point out something I've missed.

The problem is I have been unable to get to a login prompt on my newly built
Mandrake 7.2 box via telnet.

I can ping it, FTP into it and use X-Windows over my LAN with no trouble
(Samba isn't working as yet, but I suspect that's a whole different kettle
of fish). Whenever I try to telnet, my client establishes a connection,
waits for a few seconds then tells me that the connection was terminated
without ever showing me a login or bash prompt. This happens using all the
different telnet clients I have tried, Windows and Linux.

I've checked that the entries for the telnet daemon are in /etc/services and
/etc/inetd.conf. I've removed the contents of hosts.allow and hosts.deny
(LAN connection only at the moment, so no real risk I think).

I don't really understand the relationship between the telnet daemon and the
various tty devices which may be involved but, as far as I know, it's the
same default Mandrake install that worked with no trouble last time I set
the box up.

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

Ed

1. FTP and TELNET problems in Mandrake 7.2

Hi,
    I installed Mandrake 7.2 and and found out I couldn't telnet
into it from my local network. I had tried ftp and it seemed to
work. I then installed the telnet-services rpm and then the
telnet function started working, but, it seems that the ftp
function stopped working. Maybe the problems are not
related.
    The main problem is that I can't ftp into the Mandrake7.2 box.
I tried configuring /etc/ftpaccess  and it made no difference.

                                                Thanks
                                                        Mike

2. Imagewriter II printing -- here's how

3. Telnet into Mandrake 7.2 box

4. Brauche hilfe bei generics table

5. Telnet sessions into AIX taking greater than 5 minutes to establish....

6. sxpc 1.4: A Simple X Protocol Compressor

7. setting up telnet for my mandrake 7.2 box

8. HELP: RH 5.1 fails to boot

9. Partioning problems with Linux Mandrake 7.2 beta 3

10. Problems with Linux Mandrake 7.2 and XFree4.0.1

11. Help: LILO / Linux Mandrake 7.2 Dual Boot problem

12. System check program in Mandrake 7.2?

13. Mandrake 7.1 vs Mandrake 7.2 ?