Creating a bootable CD-ROM ?

Post by Gary Dunca » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 17:44:21

Can someone point me at an up-to-date and accurate HOWTO for
creating  a bootable CD-ROM , using a bzImage which will boot
if dd'd to floppy (with of course  root partition set via rdev).

This is the same bzImage which LILO boots my machine, incidentally.

(And yes, I've Google-whacked this topic with every possible combination
of CDROM/LINUX/BOOT/CDROM/ and, surprisingly, get any advice which actually
worked. Or is it me , hmmm ...  :)

I've tried creating a CD-bootable image using mkisofs, and then
writing it to CD via cdrecord, but the bootup fails (the booting
messge of continuous dots soon turns into lines
of Pc register contents , e.g. "AX=1212 etc)

Ill skip the boring details of mkisofs / cdrecord dialogues for now,
pending some kind soul's explanation.

- Gary

Creating a bootable CD-ROM ?

Post by Lenard Charter » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 21:55:03

> Can someone point me at an up-to-date and accurate HOWTO for creating  a
> bootable CD-ROM , using a bzImage which will boot if dd'd to floppy
> (with of course  root partition set via rdev).

> This is the same bzImage which LILO boots my machine, incidentally.

> (And yes, I've Google-whacked this topic with every possible combination
> of CDROM/LINUX/BOOT/CDROM/ and, surprisingly, get any advice which
> actually worked. Or is it me , hmmm ...  :)

> I've tried creating a CD-bootable image using mkisofs, and then writing
> it to CD via cdrecord, but the bootup fails (the booting messge of
> continuous dots soon turns into lines of Pc register contents , e.g.
> "AX=1212 etc)

> Ill skip the boring details of mkisofs / cdrecord dialogues for now,
> pending some kind soul's explanation.

> - Gary

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/index.html

Read the README.eltorito file that comes with mkisofs also.

1. Creating bootable solaris CD-ROM with extra packages

We would like to be able to create a bootable solaris cdrom with a
number of additional (ours) packages on it.

This is for a field service guy to run around the country installing
upgrades on a number of machines.

I have a pretty good idea of the layout of a bootable cdrom, but there
are some details that I am not clear on.

1. To be able to boot, Sun CD-ROM drives must be able to handle 512
byte sectors. So I would assume that the cdrom I create must use 512
byte sectors. Is it true that only the boot track must be 512 byte
sectors, or is the entire solaris cd 512 byte sectors?

2. Which cd *writers* support these 512 byte sectors?

3. How are the separate filesystems on the cd created? Are they
separate sessions? something else?

4. Assuming we do this by duplicating solaris cd's we have
legitimately bought, should we expect to be visited by some big nasty
Sun lawyers? (or worse -- small, nasty Sun lawyers?)

Kind regards,

Larry

2. g++ or SunPro CC? Is one considered to produce *better* code?

3. How to create HFS bootable CD-ROM ?

4. Solstice Admin Suite 2.2 on Solaris 8

5. Bootable floppy different than bootable CD ROM for installation of RH 8.0?

6. Network Problem

7. CD-ROM Drive Errors w/ Debian Installation - Bootable CD Problem?

8. Corel Linux installations

9. CD-R devices and creating bootable cds

10. Bootable CD-ROM

11. How to make bootable CD-ROM?

12. CD-ROM bootable SCSI