Linux/NEC-Pentium/Network not working

Post by David Hawki » Fri, 16 Sep 1994 06:53:44

I can't find what I'm doing wrong here. I've got a NEC Pentium right
out of the box. When Linux (slackware 2.0, kernel 1.0.9) boots it says

eth0: 3c509 at 0x300 tag1, BNC port, address 00 20 af 39 0f 1a, IRQ 5,

Symptoms are: I can't ping or reach the net in any form.  I have a
working Linux box next to the Pentium, and I just tarr'd /etc/ to the
new machine (via disk) and shutdown the working machine and moved the
ethernet drop over. It can ping itself via loopback.

Suggestions welcome. I tried the troubleshooting chapter in the
O'Reilly book, TCPIP Network Adminstration. No luck.  Just can't get
past the ethernet card, it looks like.

later, david
--

"The world bores you when you're cool." [Calvin and Hobbes]

1. After linux's network works, win XP's network cannot work ?

I installed Redhat linux 9.0 in one of my disk partition .
at first, linux cannot recognize broadcom 440x's ethernet card.
Then I download driver through broadcom.com and successfully installed
the ethernet driver.
Now I can surf the net in linux.
But when I return to win XP , it displays "a network cable is
unplugged", but the device is working properly. (the cable is indeed
plugged)
So I failed to link to Internet in XP,but can go online in linux.

Any great man know how this happened?
How to solve this problem?
 Thanks!

2. Newbie: Configure DHCP on Linux to request IP address from W2K

3. Linux/Microsoft network--Linux not working--HELP!

4. Module loading

5. Linux Printer not working in Win98-Linux network

6. XFree86, SIS6326,,,,grr

7. Help! NEC CDR-260 CDROM not working

8. ldd -L

9. NEC/Creative SCSI CDROM not working.

10. gzip not working on pentium

11. 3com 3c509s work fine in 486 but NOT in PentiuM?

12. FDDI Network Card not being seen or Driver not working

13. 3com509 combo card not working on a Pentium PCI system