remove file Input/output error - can't even display

remove file Input/output error - can't even display

Post by Andre » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 01:19:08

Thank for help on previous questions.

I have a file that will not delete.  When I try and ls in the directory the
file is located the file name is shown.  Can someone tell me what the
problem is and how to force the removal of this file?

To illustrate:
let say the path is:
'/home/share/xyz/'
ls       // reveals a file called
'items'
ls -l    // error to stdout is:
'ls: items: Input/output error:

stat items // similar error
'items: Input/output error'

rm -fr items // similar error
'rm: cannot remove 'items': Input/output error'

I searched the archives but did not see an answer that worked for me.

Andrew

please remove 'TOREMOVE' chars to e-mail me

remove file Input/output error - can't even display

Post by Garry Knigh » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 04:42:48

Quote:> I have a file that will not delete.
[...]
> ls -l    // error to stdout is:
> 'ls: items: Input/output error:

Try deleting it from Midnight Commander. 'cd' to the directory, run 'mc'
in a console, cursor down to the file, press F8, then Enter.

--
Garry Knight

Linux registered user 182025

remove file Input/output error - can't even display

Post by Andr » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 07:52:51

Thanks for the reply Garry, but midnight commander returns the same
error message that I stated below.

Does anyone else have any advice?

I can rename the directory provided it is on the same device as the
original but other than that I get the "input/output error".

Thanks.

Post by Garry Knigh » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 08:54:04

>> I have a file that will not delete.
> Thanks for the reply Garry, but midnight commander returns the same
> error message that I stated below.

As root, go to the directory containing the file and try 'chattr -i
item'. Can you delete it now?

--
Garry Knight

Linux registered user 182025

remove file Input/output error - can't even display

Post by Andre » Wed, 20 Mar 2002 08:02:57

no luck.  same error = "input/output error while trying to stat items"

---
 Andrew

 please remove 'TOREMOVE' chars to e-mail me

Quote:> As root, go to the directory containing the file and try 'chattr -i

--

Post by Garry Knigh » Wed, 20 Mar 2002 08:22:45

Quote:>> As root, go to the directory containing the file and try 'chattr -i
>> item'. Can you delete it now?

> no luck.  same error = "input/output error while trying to stat items"

My guess is that the filesystem in question is ReiserFS, rather than
ext2. And I've run out of ideas, sorry.

By the way, it gets a little confusing if you reply to your own articles
instead of mine...

--
Garry Knight

Linux registered user 182025

remove file Input/output error - can't even display

Post by Andr » Thu, 21 Mar 2002 13:32:48

Thanks for the help Garry.  Sorry for posting replies to my own
article.

I am using the ext3 filesystem.  I do not know what caused the problem
or how to fix it but at least the the problem is taking up a nominal
amount of storage space.  I have asked some friends that know linux
better than I do, and they do not know how to remove the file in
question either.

---
Andrew

remove 'NOTPART' chars to e-mail me

Post by Garry Knigh » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 10:35:52

>> My guess is that the filesystem in question is ReiserFS, rather than
>> ext2. And I've run out of ideas, sorry.
> I am using the ext3 filesystem.  I do not know what caused the problem
> or how to fix it but at least the the problem is taking up a nominal
> amount of storage space.

It occurs to me that it might be part of the ext3 journalling system. If
so, the last thing you'd want to do is to delete it, even if it would let
you do so.

--
Garry Knight

Linux registered user 182025

1. can't remove/rename file, even as root

I'm running RH 6.1 and was trying to upgrade the bind package via rpm but it
fails saying it is unable to delete (via RPM_DELETE) the /usr/sbin/named file.
I then went in as root and tried to manually remove named but get an error
message saying "rm: cannot unlink `/usr/sbin/named': Operation not permitted".
I'd had a 4 second power outage recently and thought perhaps the problem had to
do with an inode or something being corrupted so I ran fsck to try to fix the
problems that were listed at boot. This did not do the trick.
Besides not being able to remove or overwrite this file, I'm also unable to run
chmod on it...
Any thoughts/suggestions on how I can kill off this pesky file?
Thanks.

-jason

2. Docs to setup and use Cern Httpd_3.0 Server on a Novell LAN.

3. pppd: "Couldn't get channel number: Input/output error"

4. HELP NEEDED SETTING UP UNIX PRINTER

5. ppp, chat: Can't get terminal parameters: Input/output error

6. test

7. input/output error (5) when copying files from cd to hard drive

8. I_LINK and pipes

9. libext2fs.so.2 (Input / Output error) - can't boot anymore!

10. Setial Port Error "Input/output error"

11. Install Problems: Error mounting /dev/wcd0c on /dist: Input/output error (5)

12. pppd error - tcgetattr: Input/output error(5)

13. the error is an input/output error"