No route to host problem.....solved!

Post by John Sha » Fri, 09 Sep 1994 20:56:22

hello---

Well, some of you might have read my earlier post about getting a "no
route to host" messgae everytime I did anything.  I'd just like to say
thanks to all thos who mailed me about it, I really appreciate it!

The problem was this:
Because I have 2 machines in my house that both run Linux and (now) are
both net.connected, I get confused.  When I was trying to telnet on
machine #2 (the one with the problem), i was typing 'telnet access' where
access was an alias in hosts for a real address.  Well, this works on
machine #1 because it has access listed in it's hosts file.  You see, I
had forgotten to add 'access' to my hosts on machine #2!  I had assumed I
has done that already.  But, upon closer inspection, I was wrong. =)

Again, thanks to all who responded.  The great thing about Linux is that
it doesnt have users, it has followers!  It's like having a big family!
I think there should be an alt.cults.linux group formed.

And since some will complain I'm hogging bandwidth, I'd thought I'd ask a
legit question.  How do I come up in runlevel 6?  Do I have to edit
inittab or more than that?  Is this a good thing to do?

Thanks again!

john

Post by Stephen Harr » Tue, 13 Sep 1994 04:50:11

: legit question.  How do I come up in runlevel 6?  Do I have to edit
: inittab or more than that?  Is this a good thing to do?

Two ways:
  1) To automatically boot in level 6:
     Look in /etc/inittab for lines similar to
       # Default runlevel.
       id:2:initdefault:

     Just change the '2' to '6'.

  2) To change run levels on a system already running, use 'telinit'
     eg  'telinit 6'
     This will kill any process that were created in the current runlevel and
     should not be in the new runlevel.

Hope this helps.
--

rgds