Help - can't get PCMCIA ethernet card to work under Linux

Help - can't get PCMCIA ethernet card to work under Linux

Post by Alasdair McAndr » Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hi there,

I've recently spent some time tying to get my 3Com 3C589 PCMCIA
ethernet card to work under Linux.  It works fine under DOS, but
that's not good enough.  I've recompiled te Linux kernel to allow
support for loadable modules, and compiled the PCMCIA software
according to the PCMCIA-HOWTO.

All seems to be going well; cardmgr loads, the card appears to be
recognized by the system, but whenever I try checking it (by removing
and then inserting the card), I get two high beeps (indicating that
the card is recognized) and then a low beep, with the message:

SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

and I don't know what to do.  The laptop is an Ascentia 910n, which
uses an i82365 clone as its socket driver.

If anyone has any useful advice, I'd be delighted if you'd let me know.

cheers,

Alasdair McAndrew               Dept. of Computer and Mathematical Sciences

Fax:   +61 3 9688 4050          P.O. 14428, Melbourne Mail Centre
Phone: +61 3 9688 4344          Melbourne, Vic 3000, Australia
             WWW Home Page:     http://www.vut.edu.au/~alasdair/amca.html

Help - can't get PCMCIA ethernet card to work under Linux

Post by Karl_Kleinpa.. » Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Several suggestions:
1. Check /var/adm/messages to see what the system doesn't like about it.
2. Run the cardinfo utility, and see how it changes as the card is
inserted.  It should show up in a "ready" state with an appropriate
port and IRQ selection.
3. Make sure that /etc/pcmcia/network does appropriate configuration
things.

I'd be very surprised if the card is at fault; it's almost certainly a
configuration problem.  My 3c589b is a wondrous device.

1. need help getting a Xircom PCMCIA ethernet card to work under freebsd 4.2

Hi,
I'm having trouble getting my network card to work under FreeBSD-4.2.
My laptop is a toshiba tecra 8000. And my networkcard is a 'Xircom
realport ethernet 10/100 +modem 56'.
I've gotten my PCMCIA slots to work, and the card is detected properly
when inserted.

However, after insertion it gives me the following 'errors':
-------------<paste>----------
pccardd[196]: Card "Xircom"("CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56")
[CEM56] [1.00] matched "Xircom ("CreditCard Ethernet") [(null)]
[(null)]

pccardd[196]: Config id 35 not present in this card

pccardd[196]: Resource allocation failure for "Xircom"("CreditCard
Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56") [CEM56] [1.00]; Reason specified CIS was
not found
-----------<end paste>------------

Another card (an argossy (see http://www.argossy.nl)) does seem to
work properly. So I guess it has something to do with the driver for
some reason.

Does anyone know how I can get it to work? Because I'm kindof out of
ideas over here.

Thanks in advance,
--
-Sjoerd

2. IPsec packet filter?

3. How to make pcmcia ethernet card that works with Linux work with dos? . .

4. Knode window split

5. I'm having some trouble getting a PCMCIA card to work properly

6. Kernel with patch for LM205 CD, adapter found but time-out ???

7. Need help getting Cabletron E2100 ethernet card working w/linux

8. PPP authentication

9. Need help getting Red Hat to see PCMCIA ethernet card

10. PCMCIA Grey Cell Network Card and PCMCIA Modem don't work together

11. OT: Are Cardbus Fast Ethernet cards REALLY FASTER than PCMCIA Fast Ethernet cards

12. need help getting a pci ethernet card to work on 2.2.5

13. trouble getting 3COM 3C900B-TPO ethernet card working with Linux