Term and Minicom dialup

Post by flyb » Sat, 17 Dec 1994 04:27:08

Hi I just installed Term 2.2.0 and have it working sort of.

ok my Question is what software do I need to do a dial up that wont drop modem conection when I exit to start  Term.  The only comm I have is Minicom and have
set the rest string to null and the hangup string to null , but the kernal releases the modem when I exit.

I have run Linecheck through Minicoms alt J shell to test the line and ran
Tmon the same way . Tmon shows that I have conection on the local side but dosent show the Remote side. I also have TinyX installed and Tmosaic I can start Tmosaic with out term and it seems to work till it trys to conect to term then craashes ( to be exspected). I have limited mem 4 meg and a total of 65meg hd space so you can see my prob. I saw in the docs for Term that there is a dial up front end called Fet whaere can I get this ? or how can I get XC to drop out and run term thow I do run mighty Tight

 on mem when running fvwm and xc and mosaic.

any sugestions would be appriciated.
:wq

`

Term and Minicom dialup

Post by Wade W. Warn » Mon, 19 Dec 1994 19:26:29

: Hi I just installed Term 2.2.0 and have it working sort of.

: ok my Question is what software do I need to do a dial up that wont drop modem conection when I exit to start  Term.  The only comm I have is Minicom and have
: set the rest string to null and the hangup string to null , but the kernal releases the modem when I exit.

Try ^a q. That should exit minicom without resetting the modem. At least it does for me :).

--

W. W. Warner               | Never underestimate the power of
                           | human stupidity - R.A. Heinlein

Term and Minicom dialup

Post by Bill McCart » Thu, 22 Dec 1994 11:30:59

>: Hi I just installed Term 2.2.0 and have it working sort of.

>: ok my Question is what software do I need to do a dial up that wont drop modem conection when I exit to start  Term.  The only comm I have is Minicom and have
>: set the rest string to null and the hangup string to null , but the kernal releases the modem when I exit.

You could try ctrl A J and jump to a shell to then start term. After you exit,
or tshutdown, just type exit again and you are back to your regular logged in
session - works for me :) Good luck.

"Isn't it pretty to think so."
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT\__Jake Barnes___________________________
use Linux; you'll feel better               | Bill McCarthy         |

Term and Minicom dialup

Post by Michael E. Lovel » Wed, 28 Dec 1994 04:15:37

In message 18 Dec 1994 10:26:29 GMT,

> : Hi I just installed Term 2.2.0 and have it working sort of.

> : ok my Question is what software do I need to do a dial up that wont
> drop modem conection when I exit to start  Term.  The only comm I have is
> Minicom and have : set the rest string to null and the hangup string to
> null , but the kernal releases the modem when I exit.

> Try ^a q. That should exit minicom without resetting the modem. At least
> it does for me :).

Or don't exit minicom at all but rather drop to a shell to fire up term on
your local machine. Command is ^a j. Works for me. Only caveat is to cd to
the directory where you want any dl'd files to end up if using tncftp or
such. This is after you fire up term on your Linux box (which I assume is
your local PC).

--
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +

| Disclaimer: Contents under pressure, do not expose to open flame.       |
| Ideas are from my own twisted brain and have nothing to do with my      |
| employer or any other rational organization or individual. (Did I just  |
| call ISU a rational organization? My mind must be fried!)               |
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +

1. Problem with dialup connection (using minicom)

Hello,
        I have been using my Linux (RedHat 5.2) system to dialup for a ppp
connection to my ISP with excellect results. As of late, I have needed
to dial in to my company's system from home (not ppp - just straight
dialup). I am using minicom for this and have noticed some interesting
activity. I am able to successfully login and work, but while I am
connected I experience a "hang" so to speak - all activity stops for
about a minute or so. I can't type anything into minicom nor do I
receive anything back (of course my entire system is still operational
otherwise). And after about a minute I can resume using mincom for a
couple more minutes until this happens again. I thought that this might
be our connection at work so I tried to dial into my ISP directly (no
ppp) using minicom and experienced the same exact problem. Any thoughts?
For the most part I think that I have things configured correctly
(although, if I did, I probably wouldn't be having this problem:-). I
can log in, I am finding my modem and everything seems fine until I get
connected for a few minutes.

Thank in advance for the help.
Scott

2. inb(), outb() functions?

3. dialup in minicom/linux

4. USB attached scanner to iMac and YDL 3.0

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. granting mount permission to users

7. minicom term problem (call me picky :)

8. Opti 924 sound card with 2.2.0

9. Term and Minicom

10. Term & minicom

11. Minicom Alt-Q quits more than just Minicom

12. SliRp/Minicom: Starting Slirp through minicom?

13. To Minicom or not to Minicom