2.4 -> 14.4k modem migration problems

Post by Dhaliwal Bikram Sin » Tue, 11 Jan 1994 08:03:46

First of all, if I connect to the local IBM bulletin board here at
14.4kb in Linux using minicom 1.15b it works ok (8N1 line). However
when I dial the U of T CS computer (7N1 w/MNP) I get nothing but
garbled lines, as if I did not set the 7N1 parameter.  I have done
everything, disabling MNP, etc and it has been unable to connect.
I have been able to connect on the school's 2400 baud line but obviously
I don't want 2400 baud if I can run at 9600.  The reason why
I want to do this is because I want to run term108 (works with my
old 2400 baud modem).

BTW if anybody has any shell scripts that will dial the modem and
log onto a system without the use of minicom please post them.

Thanks.

-bik

1. external USR Sporster 14.4k fax/modem

Anyone have good documentation on this modem?  I can't find anything
regarding the S registers (although I found some for newer models,
but they don't appear to have the same registers).

I'm asking this because I'm having a real tough time getting connected
via PAP, and even though I played with the lcp-* and pap-* settings
of pppd, the end result is the same:  it hangs up after so many
LCP ConfReq are sent (the number depends on what those lcp-* and pap-*
variables are set to).  That's why I'm thinking this may be
hardware-related.

The machine I'm trying to get authenticated by is an Ascend router,
and after reading an FAQ about them, I found out that it's a good idea
to set S7 to a high value (it's set to 120 right now), but I have no
info on the other registers.

2. Linux DHCP server with dynamic IP

3. 14.4k Modem under DOSEMU

4. Compaq Presario 12XL400 Notebook and Linux

5. Using 14.4k modems via minicom

6. SSH tunnel up/down scripts

7. efax+US.Robutistic Sporter 14.4K data/fax modem

8. yet another kernel compile problem(bloated)

9. PPP with 14.4K modem

10. 14.4K modem connects at 19.2K (& fails) ???

11. hoooking up a 14.4k modem

12. Supporting Boca 14.4k Modem?

13. Need help w/ DIP and connecting at modem speeds over 14.4K