Help on installing Linux on WD AC2700 HD

Help on installing Linux on WD AC2700 HD

Post by Kent Perri » Fri, 25 Nov 1994 07:42:31

Hi all,

I'm trying to install Linux from the Slackware 2.0.2 CD-ROM. I have a
Western Digital 730 meg IDE Hard Drive. I have read the news posts about the
WD AC31000 1 gig hard drive and I think I have the solution to my problem but
I wanted to run it by the Net.Gurus to see if there would be a better way
to do it.

When I installed the hd I used the software that came with the hd to
partition and format it (this may be where my problems are coming from).
I split it into 2 partitions, One 400 meg for dos and the remaining 330 megs
for Linux. The Western Digital installation software automagically made
the 330 meg partition into a dos partition. I used dos' fdisk to delete the
330 meg partition.

I now boot with the Linux boot and root disks and I try to fdisk my hd
so I can set up the Linux native and swap partitions. Unfortunately this
is where my problems start. When I print the partition information the
Linux fdisk doesn't can't tell that my dos partition is a dos partition, it
says unknown type (I think it said type 53). I go ahead and try to creat a
new partition. I can specify a new primary partition but when it asks me for
the starting cylinder it prints the following prompt:

        first cylinder (1416-1416):

which indicates to me that the Linux fdisk doesn't see that there is space
on the hd for a new partition.

I am also warned by Linux fdisk that my drive has different physical/logical
endings (phys=390,15,63 logical=1416,15,63) and that the primary partition
does not start on cylinder boundery (phys=0,0,2 should be 0,0,1).

The solution that I have come up with is to back up my dos partition
and repartition my hd first using dos' fdisk to recreate the 400 meg
dos partition and then boot Linux and use Linux fdisk to creat my Linux
native and swap partitions as needed.

Another possibility is to repartition my hd into a small dos "boot"
partition (containing only dos), a Linux boot/root partition, a dos data
partition, and a Linux native partition for /usr and an extended partition
for swap space.

I would prefer to just have one dos and two (native and swap) linux partitions
but any and all recomendations are welcome.

TIA!

Kent Perrier, Linux Neophyte

Corporations don't have opinions, people do.  These are mine.
PGP 2.6 Public Key available by request
PGP encrypted mail welcome!

Help on installing Linux on WD AC2700 HD

Post by Walter Schusse » Fri, 25 Nov 1994 17:24:32

Quote:>Hi all,

[snip]

>When I installed the hd I used the software that came with the hd to
>partition and format it (this may be where my problems are coming from).
>I split it into 2 partitions, One 400 meg for dos and the remaining 330 megs
>for Linux. The Western Digital installation software automagically made
>the 330 meg partition into a dos partition. I used dos' fdisk to delete the
>330 meg partition.

I probably had the same software (and the same problems ;-).
I guess you had something called 'Direct Driver Overlay, WD', coming
up when booting with DOS?

Quote:

>I now boot with the Linux boot and root disks and I try to fdisk my hd
>so I can set up the Linux native and swap partitions. Unfortunately this
>is where my problems start. When I print the partition information the
>Linux fdisk doesn't can't tell that my dos partition is a dos partition, it
>says unknown type (I think it said type 53). I go ahead and try to creat a

Sounds familiar... This Overlay-thingie also prevented me from using
fips for the non-destructive re-partitioning... At least, I goofed it
somewhere in the process :-)

Quote:>new partition. I can specify a new primary partition but when it asks me for
>the starting cylinder it prints the following prompt:

>    first cylinder (1416-1416):

>which indicates to me that the Linux fdisk doesn't see that there is space
>on the hd for a new partition.

Yep... had the same..

Quote:

>I am also warned by Linux fdisk that my drive has different physical/logical
>endings (phys=390,15,63 logical=1416,15,63) and that the primary partition
>does not start on cylinder boundery (phys=0,0,2 should be 0,0,1).

>The solution that I have come up with is to back up my dos partition
>and repartition my hd first using dos' fdisk to recreate the 400 meg
>dos partition and then boot Linux and use Linux fdisk to creat my Linux
>native and swap partitions as needed.

I had to do the same... Also, you shouldn't re-install this overdrive-thingie..
My harddisk works also nicely without it..

BTW, my harddisk came pre-installed, thus I had no information what this
Overlay-beast is or what it does.. Do you have any info on that?
(I *guess* it should be a kind of accelerator..)

Quote:

>Another possibility is to repartition my hd into a small dos "boot"
>partition (containing only dos), a Linux boot/root partition, a dos data
>partition, and a Linux native partition for /usr and an extended partition
>for swap space.

????? You've lost me here.. I've installed LILO in the Master Boot Record,
which works just fine with one DOS-partition and one Linux-partition (+Linux-swap,
of course).. For what would you need a Linux boot/root partition?

Quote:

>I would prefer to just have one dos and two (native and swap) linux partitions
>but any and all recomendations are welcome.

I have just one recommendation to give:

Decrease the size of the DOS-partition and grant Linux a little bit
more space ;^))

/Walter

Help on installing Linux on WD AC2700 HD

Post by Mark Lo » Fri, 25 Nov 1994 08:30:46

<Hi all,
<
<I'm trying to install Linux from the Slackware 2.0.2 CD-ROM. I have a
<Western Digital 730 meg IDE Hard Drive. I have read the news posts about the
..
<When I installed the hd I used the software that came with the hd to
<partition and format it (this may be where my problems are coming from).

Yup.  S*it.  Linux doesn't get along with that weird scheme (yet).

I have an WDC31000 which works just peachy -- all 2100 cylinders of it.
All that is necessary is to ensure that all linux bootfiles are on
a partition within the first 1024 cyls, and that all cyls begin within
the first 1024 cyls.  Works just fine.
--

Post by Kent Perri » Sat, 26 Nov 1994 13:30:45

>>When I installed the hd I used the software that came with the hd to
>>partition and format it (this may be where my problems are coming from).
>>I split it into 2 partitions, One 400 meg for dos and the remaining 330 megs
>>for Linux. The Western Digital installation software automagically made
>>the 330 meg partition into a dos partition. I used dos' fdisk to delete the
>>330 meg partition.

>I probably had the same software (and the same problems ;-).
>I guess you had something called 'Direct Driver Overlay, WD', coming
>up when booting with DOS?

I believe its called a Dynamic Frive Overlay and it allows dos to use
the whole 730 meg hd.

Quote:

>>I now boot with the Linux boot and root disks and I try to fdisk my hd
>>so I can set up the Linux native and swap partitions. Unfortunately this
>>is where my problems start. When I print the partition information the
>>Linux fdisk doesn't can't tell that my dos partition is a dos partition, it
>>says unknown type (I think it said type 53). I go ahead and try to creat a

>Sounds familiar... This Overlay-thingie also prevented me from using
>fips for the non-destructive re-partitioning... At least, I goofed it
>somewhere in the process :-)

>>new partition. I can specify a new primary partition but when it asks me for
>>the starting cylinder it prints the following prompt:

>>        first cylinder (1416-1416):

>>which indicates to me that the Linux fdisk doesn't see that there is space
>>on the hd for a new partition.

>Yep... had the same..

>>I am also warned by Linux fdisk that my drive has different physical/logical
>>endings (phys=390,15,63 logical=1416,15,63) and that the primary partition
>>does not start on cylinder boundery (phys=0,0,2 should be 0,0,1).

>>The solution that I have come up with is to back up my dos partition
>>and repartition my hd first using dos' fdisk to recreate the 400 meg
>>dos partition and then boot Linux and use Linux fdisk to creat my Linux
>>native and swap partitions as needed.

>I had to do the same... Also, you shouldn't re-install this overdrive-thingie..
>My harddisk works also nicely without it..

>BTW, my harddisk came pre-installed, thus I had no information what this
>Overlay-beast is or what it does.. Do you have any info on that?
>(I *guess* it should be a kind of accelerator..)

>>Another possibility is to repartition my hd into a small dos "boot"
>>partition (containing only dos), a Linux boot/root partition, a dos data
>>partition, and a Linux native partition for /usr and an extended partition
>>for swap space.

>????? You've lost me here.. I've installed LILO in the Master Boot Record,
>which works just fine with one DOS-partition and one Linux-partition (+Linux-swap,
>of course).. For what would you need a Linux boot/root partition?

[snip]

Quote:>I have just one recommendation to give:

>Decrease the size of the DOS-partition and grant Linux a little bit
>more space ;^))

>/Walter

Thanks Walter!  I believe that the overlay is in the rom on the drive as
I, and the partitioning and formatting software, didn't add anything to my
config and autoexec files for the drive.

The Linux root/boot partition would be to keep the boot files under the 1024
cylinder so the BIOS could see it (and boot off of it).

To fix this problem did you repartition you hd with dos fdisk for dos and
linux fdisk for linux?  Will my first solution work?

Post by Erwin Gili » Sat, 03 Dec 1994 22:45:16

><Hi all,
><
><I'm trying to install Linux from the Slackware 2.0.2 CD-ROM. I have a
><Western Digital 730 meg IDE Hard Drive. I have read the news posts about the
>..
><When I installed the hd I used the software that came with the hd to
><partition and format it (this may be where my problems are coming from).
>Yup.  S*it.  Linux doesn't get along with that weird scheme (yet).
>I have an WDC31000 which works just peachy -- all 2100 cylinders of it.
>All that is necessary is to ensure that all linux bootfiles are on
>a partition within the first 1024 cyls, and that all cyls begin within
>the first 1024 cyls.  Works just fine.

I'm also buying a WD 700 Mb today, on which I want to install both DOS and
Linux. You have no problem because you are only using Linux on your drive.
The original poster asked for a possibilty to use two big partitions on the
drive which are both bootable using the BIOS. I don't think this can be done
for say a 300/400 divide of the drive. For the second partition you'll have
to make sure the boot files are within the 1024 cylinders limit.

Someone here in my group faced the same problem for his WDC31000 and I
think he solved it. I'll ask him when I see him again. The only thing I
know now is he used some special WD software.

Anyway, this is just to show I'm also interested so if someone comes up
with more answers I'd like to hear them too please!! I'll share
my experience with the drive in the coming week.

This is becoming a FAQ, is there a FAQ list available for such questions???

Good luck,

Erwin

Erwin J.M. Giling                    |

Delft - The Netherlands              |

1. HARD DRIVE WD CAVIAR AC2700 (LILO)

Hello, I need help to install LILO and to
have the same physical/logical address for
my partitions.

Message from fdisk :
====================
Disk /dev/hda1 : 16 heads, 63 sectors, 1416 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008*512 bytes.

..

/dev/hda1   *    1     1     508    256000+   6   Dos 16-bits >32M
/dev/hda2      509   509     813    153720   83   Linux Native
/dev/hda3      814   814    1321    256032   83   Linux Native
Partition 3 has different physical/logical endings :
    phys=(1023,15,63) logical=(1320,15,63)
/dev/hda4     1024  1322    1415     47376   82   Linux Swap
Partition 4 has different physical/logical beginnings :
    phys=(1023,15,63) logical=(1321,0,1)
Partition 4 has different physical/logical endings :
    phys=(1023,15,63) logical=(1414,15,63)
Partition 4 does not start on cylinder boundary :
    phys=(1023,15,63) should be (1023,0,1)

Some information more :
=======================
I have installed the Linux system on the /dev/hda3
I have a unique harddisk Western Digital Caviar AC2700 (CMOS 696.9M)
and the Goldstar VL-Bus IDE & Super I/O..

Problems and questions :
========================
I have tried to install manually LILO wihtout success. The system is
always starting from DOS.
Can I do some think to change the physical address of one partition ?

Where is the mistake in general ?????

Thanks a lot for your attention.

Best regards,

Benoit Beck.

2. trying to get modem to dial

3. Q: WD Caviar AC2700 - Installation question

4. Redhat vs Sun LDAP

5. Can't get WD AC2700 EIDE drive to work

6. genius network card... any good?

7. HELP-Install Sco on Pentium w/WD 1G HD

8. rz/sz in Seyon: Data subpacket too long

9. LINUX will not install right on WD 516MB HD?

10. Hint for WD HD users: Possible HD failures

11. how to install solaris 2.5 x86 to 2.5 gig WD HD

12. HELP: partition problem with WD 1.2G hd

13. WD SCSI Cntr & Fujitsu HD Help